Sign in to follow this  
psycho_svk

simple 3d engine + school model (graduation project)

well, high-school was boring and they teached me almost nothing, and it was also too easy, so i used the free time for programming games related stuff, and at the end of the 4-year torture, i had to decide what project i will do as a graduation project, so i decided to make a demo with school model with possibility to walk around it, etc.. its written in cpp, with opengl, using Newton for physics and glpng library for loading pngs.. see here: short youtube video download here: skola.rar [10MB] skola(low).rar [2MB] (very low textures) here are some screenshots: objects in scene can be grabbed with mouse (left mouse button), similiary to some newer games (such as half-life 2 or tes 4: oblivion), and since the grabbed objects have inertia, it is possible to throw objects around simply by releasing mouse button while moving mouse.. so the object will fly away.. here are also some photos (those on the right side :]) to compare: making of the project had two main parts: the first was to create engine, which loads 3d models, renders them, uses Newton for physics and a lot more stuff [src code is over 300kB] the second part consisted of photographing real building (or complex), making 3d models in 3d studio max, placing objects in scene, where the positions were usually 'read' from photos.. brm :]

Damn, that's awesome!
any chance releasing sources? :)

Movement was a bit laggy. or was it just me?

you should definitely post this to IotD!

[Edited by - zeeli on June 10, 2009 1:58:38 PM]

for me, movement works fine (as for a few other people)
but it might be bug, there are lots of them..
and its hard to debug, when the problem does not appear on my pc :/
[but anyway, i already rewrote movement code, so, hopefully, it will work fine in newer version]

here are sources:
this should be the same as the release: 3d-src(14-05-07).rar
newest/current: 3d-src(08-06-07).rar (added simple terrain, sky gradient, sky dome, improved movement, etc)

i think sources are quite complex (or mess :)), so if you need something, feel free to ask, i'll be happy to help (PM or icq)

Thanks for the source code. :) It's intresting to see how you've made the selection system.

[Edited by - zeeli on June 10, 2009 1:30:18 PM]

Sign in to follow this