Sign in to follow this  

Your thoughts on some game/3d engines

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm planning to start developing a few games (starting with simple ones). I don't want to invest a lot of time of writing a 3d engine myself since there are already a few good ones available. I have my choices narrowed down to the following list and I wanted to know if any of you have any negative or positive experience with any of them, and if you could give your recommendations and remarks ;). So comments about the following products would be really helpful: - Crystalspace - Ogre - Irrlicht - Blender's Game Engine - Torque Thanks in advance! [Edited by - Macuyiko on June 8, 2007 10:56:43 AM]

Hi.

- I think that Crystal Space and Irrlicht are more full game engines than only 3D engines.
- Ogre3D is fine, well-written, easy to understand and has a wonderful community which really helps (and fast). It is really easy to learn how to use that engine, I recommend it. It only focus on 3D graphics.
- Don't know about Blender's Game Engine
- Torque is also a game engine, not just a 3D engine. It is not free.

Keep in mind that I only used Ogre3D in that list, so I can't tell for the others. Anyway, is it really a 3D engine that you are searching ? Not a 3D GAME engine ? If you want a full game engine then Ogre3D is maybe what you are looking for. It needs additional work as you must create or use libraries to use input, network, sound...

My 2 cents,
Sebastien

3D Game Engine is indeed probably the better term :).

Thanks for your response, I've taken a look at the Ogre3D wiki and docs... looks good. I especially like the language bindings (with Python for example).

Irrlicht looks good too. I've been toying around a bit with the Blender Game Engine. It's quite simple and straightforward, but I fear it's lesser suited for more bigger projects.

I currently use the Torque Game Engine.

There are several versions of Torque and I have been evaluating TGE and TGEA(Advance) for a while. I purchased a licens for TGE, only because it seems a bit more mature than TGEA (at the moment).

Torque will give you a broad foundation to start working from, it have a good set of tools (world, terrain, light editors, its own script language, networking, input handling, sound, exporters and so on..) and last but not least a great community.

I doubt there are any engines out there that can do everything you will need for your game out of the box but I think Torque could be a great choice as a starting point.

You can download the demo versions of this engine and try it out. Once you have a licens you will get the full source code to the engine and access to the private forum at GarageGames. In the private forum there are a lot of resources and examples of how to change and enhance the engine for your purpose.

I recommend Torque. You will get a lot for the price of it.

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.