testing on different windows versions

Started by
2 comments, last by Verg 16 years, 10 months ago
Well, is there a way to test an application on different operation systems without having them installed? I would like to test my stuff on win 98 for example, but cannot find win 98 on the market any more. So, is there an emulator or something for testing applications?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by LeChuckIsBack
Well, is there a way to test an application on different operation systems without having them installed? I would like to test my stuff on win 98 for example, but cannot find win 98 on the market any more. So, is there an emulator or something for testing applications?

not really, the x86 emulators would still require a win98 installation to run win98.

The closest you can get for free is Wine for linux. (Its not an emulator, it just wraps win32 and DX calls). however as Wine isn't 100% compatible with windows it isn't perfect. (If it works with wine it will probably work with most windows versions though, but if it doesn't work with wine it might still work flawlessly in all windows versions)

The absolutely best way to test your application on old systems is to run an open beta test and let people test it for you. (If you can't find anyone with win98 who can test the application you probably don't need to support that platform anyway)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
We use VMWare. It allows you to run a multitude of guest OSes on the same box, sumltaneously. You will need (a) copious amounts of RAM (2 GB is good) (b) a fast CPU (2 GHz is good) and (3) a valid copy of the OS in question.

The basic VMWare player and server are free.

One advantage to this way of testing is you can snapshot a guest image and restore it as necessary.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Quote:Original post by LeChuckIsBack

Ebay has all

Windows 98 for sale
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement