Ok! I'll be off for... what excatly?

Started by
7 comments, last by mikeman 16 years, 10 months ago
Hey :) I began trying out C++ with the though(As many beginners have) "OK, lets make a MMO, baby", but when I finally started trying it out a bit, it all seem'd a little bit... Hopeless? Anyways I'd like to ask some of you how you began trying out programming (Games), and what I should do, to get further on? I didn't really learned that much from the Ebooks that I downloaded, as the they kinda require that you know the basics(Maybe it has also something to do with my age, but thats not the point ;) ). I've been reading alot on this, and seems alot more harsh than Visual Basic(And it is :S ). I guess no one can make a game from the start, and actual understand or learn the code and what the different things do, from a beginning. I hope that someone knows what I should do, to fully experience C++ without saying 'eh?..' reading a tutorial(Well It's not that I don't understand english, but rather that it requires that you can some sort of fluent english - Which is more than I can.). Best Regards, Ventas :) Please tell me if you want more info about my question ;)
Advertisement
This may help

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

C++ is not a very good language for beginners. It's very complex, very difficult to get a proper basic handle on. It will take you months -- for some people, years -- before you can make moderately complex graphics games with it. That's just the nature of the beast. You have to resign yourself to starting smaller. An MMO is impossible for you (for a large number of reasons).

Other languages might be worth checking out (C++ is hardly the "be all, end all" of languages). Python and C# might be worth looking in to. However, as far C++ books go I recommend "C++: A Dialog" and/or "Thinking in C++," both of which are freely available online (use Google). If you've read those and are still having problems, try practicing more; write some sample programs and little tests for your -- this applies to any language you're learning, not just C++. Book learning alone will not cut it.

But yea. If you're more results-oriented, you might want to consider Python, as it has less of a learning curve than C++ (not being as hampered by legacy cruft and poor early design decisions), and is plenty sufficient for writing games, especially given its wealth of 3rd party libraries like Pygame. It might help you get a better handle on the fundamentals of programming and software development, before you tackle C++ (if you even decide you want to bother at all).
Thanks for the answer guys!

Well I've been doing a little of C# and Python. The thing is that; when I changed from VB to C# it all got a little bit more "Detailed" and I ran across the street screaming 'AAAAR'. Ok, I didn't :P But I thought that C++' language was so different from the other languages, that it didn't help making some in C#. Well I'm able to do some in C# as I said, but not as much as in C++(Not that I am 1337 :P ). I will try see how far I can go - If I don't really get the tutorial, then I'll try change to C# for a bit. Python was a bit wierd. It was actually my first try ever.

Thanks for the answers again ;)

Best Regards,

Ventas
Hi;

You could stick to Visual Basic, Python is another great choice. Check out this links:

http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2007/02/20/1727545.aspx

Beginning Game Development: Part I – Introduction

Good luck.
I recently started programming in Python while reading the book "Python Programming for the absolute beginner". I both recommend this book and the programming language Python, especially for those who are starting out. Each chapter explains new concepts and then apply this knowledge in making a game and this is explained in the end of each chapter. C++ is mostly used by professionals who wants to make as efficient code as possible, Python is both powerful and very high-level so it's easy to understand.

I have learned a lot from this book even though i'm not fully finished yet. The book also covers the library Pygame, but not much.
Well I don't know what to choose atm ;P, but since the topic start(And before) I've been reading alot about C++. I just feel that dropping it would be kinda hopeless then. Not that I've learned much from what I've read, but more the time that I spend on the project. The idead of a game was of course only a beginner thought, but it helped me a little more into this section ;)

I might meet some who totally disagree, but sticking to C++ now would might be the best. Python is easy to learn, but seemed a little bit wierd for me. One of the many reasons might be that I'm not good at the tidy stuff, so the interface can look like one big mess at late when youre tired.
C++ can be a little hard to understand to the uninitiated. However, I have found that if you can understand and code in C++, you can do anything. It might be worth some effort to continue with your C++ learning.

If there is something you don't understand, ask on this site, do google searches, or anything that it takes to comprehend the language. It will serve you well in the long run.
~Argonaut________________________________Why "~Argonaut"? It's all just a mathematical expression denoting a close approximation of "Argonaut", which is irrational and can't be precisely defined.
Quote:
However, I have found that if you can understand and code in C++, you can do anything.

Are you sure?

[smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement