Directx or those free librarys? which is better and more pro?

Started by
3 comments, last by samuraicrow 16 years, 10 months ago
is it pro using those free librarys like sdl, allegro revolution 3d ect... or a real game programmer is a directx guru. what are the disadvantages and advantages using free librays. what do you think?
Advertisement
What is "pro" is choosing the right tool for the job, and that should be based on metrics about what needs you have and what goals you need to achieve. Not worrying about whether or not a technology is "pro" or not. Professionals are masters of the underlying concepts, not trivial surface details like APIs.

If you're not a professional, many of the reasons used to determine choices for technology platforms used by professionals don't apply to you.

Using libraries like SDL, Allegro, et cetera, is an excellent idea, as they help you develop your game quicker and focus your efforts more on the game itself rather than the boilerplate underlying technology. Any of those libraries that are for 3D graphics will likely be written on top of OpenGL or D3D anyway.

There are some disadvantages to using 3rd party dependencies, but they're fairly minor. The worst would be the potential for you to become too familiar or dependent on that API; the solution to this is often to use multiple different APIs over your entire career as a programmer, not necessarily to roll your own (if you're inexperienced, you can waste a huge amount of time doing that and not learn much useful).

It all really boils down to what you want to do. If you want to make a game, figure out what tools you have your disposal that will help you make the best game you can. Then use them.
Uh. DirectX is free...
Forgive me if I have repeated anything anyone else has already mentioned if you have mentioned this then, Bravo!

First Dx is FREE.

Second thing you would want to do is find your target audience, and what operating system your target audience uses. Is this game going to be for Windows, Linux, Mac, for all 3, more than these OS's, or just one of them.

Third, Find a library that you'll be able to use, happens to be free, and is easy to learn, implement, and use to make Great Games!

For instance, I was obsessed with learning DirectX; I thought man, if I learn Dx I can make games for Xbox360, PS2/PS3, Nintendo DS, WII, PSP, PC, etc... when in reality the only machines & OS's that probably use Dx is the Xbox360, Xbox, and Windows based PC's. The other's use different API's for game development atleast from what I've been told. Linux can't use Dx, so if I wanted to make a good game that I would want to be available on the PC, and Linux I would have to find an API that supports both OS's.

I like making games, and right now I am working with Allegro using the Dev C++ editor, so my 2d games can be for PC (Both Linux, and Windows based)

Hope this helps a little.

When deciding on an API to use it just isn't what is the easiest one to learn, how fast it is, and what tools is available for use, but what OS's does it support for my fans who will be playing this game?

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

c.s. Finch
c.s. Finch
Many of the free libraries you mention are built on top of DirectX in their Windows versions but on top of OpenGL or some other graphics library on other platforms. The advantages to SDL and Allegro are that they run flawlessly on Macintosh and Linux and other platforms as well as Windows. The disadvantages are that they don't take advantage of all of DirectX's features.

Not to start a flame war, but OpenGL is just about as good as DirectX and will still run on Windows besides. You can open an OpenGL context in several free GUI libraries such as wxWidgets, FLTK, and others. Some engines such as Irrlicht and Ogre3d will use either OpenGL or DirectX as a backend so you don't have to choose between one or the other.

In order to use DirectX, you'll have to write software that only works on Windows and XBox series stuff. In this case, you're better off using .NET which is also free for use from Microsoft. C# express edition is also a free download and comes highly recommended by some.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement