books..

Started by
2 comments, last by Replicon 16 years, 10 months ago
i was near the library today so i decided to stop in and see what they had to offer in C++ books and i picked 2 up, plus a guide to game programming and i was wondering if anyone had anyinput on these titles. Schaum's outlines: Programming in C++ by John R Hubbard PHD. C++ Object Oriented Programming by R.J Mitchell and The Express Line To Learning Game Programming (this book explains alot of the basics like games loops, drawing sprites, animation etc... , and although the techniques are kinda universal, he uses python in the book) keep in mind my public library has next to nothing for programming and alot of the stuff is outdated
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
My personal view is that most general C++ books seem to be much of a muchness really. You just really want something up-to-date.

Watch out for books that:

1) #include <iostream.h> instead of #include <iostream>.
2) don't prefix cout with std:: or do a "using namespace std;" at the top of the example.

Outdated:
#include <iostream.h>int main(){    cout << "Hello\n";}

Up-to-date:
#include <iostream>int main(){    std::cout << "Hello\n";}

or

#include <iostream>using namespace std;int main(){    cout << "Hello\n";}
i've been working through the "programming in C++" book and it uses the #includes without the extentions, although it uses namespaces

is there a reason to not use the std namespace??

i'm about half way through the book and its suprisingly in depth, but slow enough to not get lost. although i haven't made it to any topic that i haven't spend hours on already with online tutorials, and a few online books (thinking in c++, C++: a dialog, and the relisoft.com book whose name i have misplaced)
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
I can't imagine buying a book anymore that I would "work through" to learn a new language. If you find a good online tutorial, it'll get you started in the right direction, and the rest comes from experience, learning new things as you go, reviewing more experienced people's code, and so on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement