Sign in to follow this  

SDL+OpenGL "Beryl"

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now I have a media front-end for Car PCs (google "nghost"). All the graphics stuff is in SDL. I've been looking into OpenGL and I want to add a beryl-like spinning cube transition effect between screens. Is there an easy way for me to do this (I already know how to get an SDL_Surface texture onto the cube... well kinda) without having to rewrite all of my SDL code? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks P.S. if any SDL/GL experts are looking for a progressive project you might consider nGhost Media Center. It may come in useful when you want to do more with your car stereo than listen to the same old 11 tracks all the time (ie carPC's do live internet, GPS, 1000's of movies and music tracks, and so much more...).

Switching from SDL's 2D rendering to opengl will require a near total rewrite of your rendering code. The two are incompatible for the actual rendering.

However, you can still use SDL for window creation, event handling, and input, as well as to load or procedurally generate your textures. But as for actually rendering the stuff to the screen, that part will have to be totally replaced.

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.