Profane redeemer: a game story idea. criticism appreciated

Started by
3 comments, last by Trevwa89 16 years, 10 months ago
This is the start of a game that i am designing called Profane Redeemer. It would be snazzy if anyone would like to give me tips or pointers. So here it is: Profane Redeemer will be based off of a number of older Christian ideologies and beliefs. The entire basis of this game is that everything (both on earth and in the other realms) is going wrong. Heaven is only accepting the most pious Christian believers, while hell is getting overloaded and steadily more corrupt. Earth is a reflection of the two worlds of the afterlife. The planet is getting politically torn apart by the bouts of religious fervor and pure hatred that sweep every nation. The player of the game assumes the role of Deusten HalbTeufel, the last hope for the universe. Deusten is the last remaining child of an Angel/Demon union. Because of this, he is the last remaining hope for moderation throughout the universe. Unfortunately, due to his parentage, Deusten is an outcast to both the heavenly and profane armies. The entire point of the game is to eliminate the Corrupt leaders of every large faction and install a stable replacement in their place. Ultimately, this game should translate into a better and more in depth game that is similar to Gears of War. Its over-the-shoulder 3rd person perspective should mirror that of GoW, while its fast paced violence should be comparable. The main differences, however, will make it barely recognizable as a similar game. A new concept in it is destruction of the leaders of Heaven and Hell. It should satisfy the player, but at the same time make him question what he is doing. Because of the considerable biblical and literary references to the Christian faith, this game will create a massive splash amidst the gaming community and the various religious denominations that pay attention to video games. The player also should have a choice as to whether they want Deusten to be good or evil. The good/evil meter (similar to Fables’) will change his appearance and his abilities, depending on how far he is on either side of the meter. There will be advantages to being good and evil, but the player should eventually figure out that neutrality is the easiest. Another significant-yet-not difference would be in the death system. In GoW, the darkening cog indicates damage, while the fully visible cog means either your dead or downed. A similar system would be imposed in Profane Redeemer, but in a much more creative fashion. Depending on which side of the good/evil meter Deusten is on while he is getting injured, he will start to hallucinate relevant objects and the environment will start to have relevant lighting effects. Example #1: Deusten is evil at the time that he gets injured. He would start hallucinating ghostly figures resembling demons, and the screen would get darker and more “evil” looking. Example #2: Deusten is good at the time that he gets injured. He would start to see angel figures, and the environment would start to brighten and get more “heavenly”. Either way, this effect will be an obvious reminder to the player that they are taking fire. The pace of this game should be very fast. A sense of urgency should push the player through the levels as quickly as they can. There should not be the sense that they can explore. Because of this, the levels will be almost exclusively linear. A few subquests that are irrelevent to the overall story will be included, but the game will be almost entirely straightforward. The urgency and straightforwardness of the game will also be reinforced by the music. The overall theme of the included music will be progressive metal and progressive techno. The background music has a massive effect on the subconscious of the player, and these types should have the intended reaction of urgency and the attempt to quickly finish. The weapons in Profane Redeemer will be fairly standard. The standard arsenal of shotguns, tommy-guns, pistols, and rocket launchers will be included. One key difference, however, will be the ability to modify the weapon (depending on the players holyness/evilness). Example: a good player will sedate or convert the targeted individual, while an evil player will cause massive amounts more damage. this, of course, is variable by the degree of the players goodness or evil nature. If the player is nominally evil or good, it will have almost no effect on his arsenal. Another key difference will be a focus on melee weapons. While the melee arsenal will be limited (mainly hunting knives, various types of swords, cleavers, and fire axes) the combat system will be completely new. It should mirror the Gun Kata that is present in the movie Equilibrium. This style has never been seen before in a video game and should revolutionize the fighting mechanics therin. what do you guys think? this is only the beginning, so if you have any questions, PLEASE pose them.
Advertisement
So, how does it end? Does the player kill both the christian god and the devil? With a rocket launcher? How does that work?

Also, if the christian side is corrupt it doesn't really make sense to have good actions by the player put them on the human side of things. Knocking people out instead of killing them sounds more like a humanist thing to do, and is it possible to convert people to being neutral?

The concept is interesting but I'm having trouble imagining who the audience would be.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I'm thinking that the main character would fight the devil (and presumably beat him). Since (according to christian religion) the devil is an evil angel, he should be beatable in the game.
with god, i'm thinking of the entire game leading to him as a "boss", but throwing it all out of sync at the end.
Here's how it would end: your fighting through heaven blowing up this sedating/killing that, bla bla. eventually you get to gods room/palace/house (bad terms, but i'm running brain dead right now). when you get there, it goes into a cut scene of Deusten walking into the room, which is empty except for a revolving sphere in the middle, which turns out to be the earth.
it's a play on the idea of geia.
do you have any ideas how it should end?

I think that being good would be (as you said) knocking the guys out or sedating them.
new idea: conversion? some spell that made your enemies fight beside you. good idea or bad idea?

With the good/evil meter, i'm not sure how to work it. I thought it was a kinda cool idea, but it's hard to put on paper without seeing some serious flaws. any pointers?
sounds like a good idea, just be careful with the subject. people who have faith may take offence (im an atheist, but i just want to point that out)
yeah, if I tried actually made this game (which, in all probability, i won't) i would try to make it somewhat correct in how the game was set up. For example, I would use Dantes Inferno a bunch.

And if people get really offended, they should figure out that it is a fictional video game :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement