• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nomad3d

Should I upgrade?

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently purchased a Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc. I could have purchased a more powerful laptop and a tablet for the same price but I didnt want a desktop replacement and I liked the idea of drawing directly on the screen(graphics, taking notes). It comes with 1.73ghz centrino processor, 2mb L2, 512m ram, 60gb sata hdd and a geforce go 6600 128mb graphics card. I have ordered a extra gig for $40 to bring it up to 1.5gb total. I considered buying two gig sticks but I thought 1.5gb should be enough, right? My question is should I spend a extra $160 to replace the 1.73ghz cpu with a 2.13ghz one? I plan to use the computer for photoshop work (textures, concept art, comic strips), zbrush, some light model work and game programming. I've spent about $600 already, Is the extra 400mhz worth it?

Advertisement
Thank you all for your dozens of responses, I could not get to them all(cough). But I have come to a decision for anyone who is interested(no one). I found a computer surplus website that sold a 2ghz centrino for $44 which is around $100 less than what you can get it for on ebay. I'm a bit saddened that they didn't have a faster cpu but on a plus note they also had slim bay batteries which only set me back $55(they cost 250+ on ebay) so now I have 6hrs of battery life. Trading 130mhz for 3 extra hours of use and $70 bucks in my pocket seemed like a good trade to me. I still might splurge on the second gig of ram.

First: I would get two equal memory modules, if your Centrino chipset supports dual-channel memory. That will increase your memory throughput. However, if it's of the mobile variety, it may not support dual-channel, and then it doesn't matter as much. However, more memory is still useful, because that lets PhotoShop save more in RAM, and use the hard disk less.

Before you buy a new CPU, make sure that the CPU is socketed in your existing tablet, and can be removed/replaced. If it's soldered, you're going to be quite unhappy trying to remove it :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!