VS significant speed increase w/dual core?

Started by
4 comments, last by Francisco73 16 years, 7 months ago
Hi... Yes, another "what to buy" question. I want to (primarily) run Visual Studio 8 on a new laptop. Current laptop: ~1.65 GHz Athlon/448 MB/40 GB/XP Professional SP2 (about 3GB HDD free--defragged) Am looking at: Gateway 1.73Ghz (Dual Core Centrino)/2GB/160 GB/Vista Ultimate --- The code is template-heavy. I'm looking for a significant speed increase in build times. I realize disk access has a lot to do with that. Also looking to get around the silliness presented by VS8 continually updating "Intellisense" while I am typing. Basically, I don't want to buy the new one if it's not going to save time. Should I buy, or not? If not, is there anything out there under $1500 that will give the speed increase? (I do not like DELLs) Thanks Chad
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Advertisement
...just saw

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=438296&whichpage=1

Interesting.

It appears there won't be a good solution to this until VS Orcas.

Anyone have any other ideas?
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
From personal experience - a dual core is nice for avoiding intellisense locking up the machine, but won't help build times.
Best speed up in build times I've seen are making sure you have no redundant headers, using precompiled headers and eliminating templates. :p
Thanks for the info. I'll avoid the new expenditure, then.
I'm running Visual C++ 8 and it parallelizes builds across multiple CPU cores. Doing so speeds it up.

The trick is to split your solution into multiple projects. VC 8 only parallelizes separate project builds -- not builds within a single project. You can, however, get plug-ins that will do that for you (Incredibuild, for example).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Try this free plugin for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 http://www.todobits.es/mpcl.html , It will create several threads and will use all cores with a single project. You don't have to divide your program in several dlls in order to improve the speed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement