Sound Library with OpenGL?

Started by
8 comments, last by zix99 16 years, 10 months ago
I'm just curious to as what most people use as a sound library with OpenGL? I want to avoid platform specific libraries (like the Microsoft Direct Sound).
Advertisement
well the two that i normaly use are OpenAL or fmod.
I use OpenAL. It is recommended for OpenGL users since it shares the same basic code style.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Audiere. Portable and easy to use.
sdl also comes with sound support (not as good as openal) but decent enuf.
if youre using sdl for input/window stuff u might wanna check it out
Quote:Original post by Wingman
Audiere. Portable and easy to use.

Is it possible to make it load from a custom stream/data source?

Anyway, I was planning on using Direct X for audio. You don't have to use the 3D stuff to use Direct X.
Programming since 1995.
I'm not sure I'm remembering this properly, but I think DirectAudio is depreciated... not sure.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Since I'm currently using SDL for the windowing and input side of things I'm using SDL_mixer to handle the audio. It's good enough for the 2D games I want to make; I'm not sure how well it handles more advanced 3D audio however.

I've also used FMOD; it's extremely good. Unfortunately the licensing gets expensive if you're thinking of ever selling an indie game and have more than one member in your team.
Haven't tried it myself, but irrKlang seems not bad also. Its a free 3D audio engine.
Another vote for FMOD from me. Great library, supports many formats (mp3, wav, ogg, etc). Either 2D or 3D audio (by that I mean it supports panning/volume based on location), and it can stream from the internet. On windows it takes advantage of DirectSound, and on Linux it uses ALSA.

Anyhow, great library. Free too, if your program is free (otherwise you have to pay a licensing fee).

~Zix
---------------------------------------------------Game Programming Resources, Tutorials, and Multimedia | Free Skyboxes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement