Sign in to follow this  
paws1111

Particle Engine Graphics

hi, Im working on simple particle engine (all in c# originaly done without directX but i just finished switcheing it out to directX and everything is done except the rendering methods that i planed using sprites) and it works great. So after looking around at other more well developed particle engines i noticed what i wanted my next, i would like to add beter graphics. One way I saw commenly used was some type of aditive glow that would build ontop of its self commenly used in some type of fire particle Systems. But any infomation on any ways to improve my particles systems graphics would be greatly appreciated and would beat my normal circles flying around any day. (yea just normal circles right now graphics is my weaker point :/ ) thanks in advance

have you tryd useing other textures than a circle, also i think the glow your thinking of is just the cause of so mainy textures with different alpha being stacked on top of each other

Like you said, additive blending is frequently used in particle engines. It's pretty easy to do. For example, in OpenGL you could do glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE);. Then anything with blending would be additive rather than the usual "transparency". I'm sure it's just as easy to do with DirectX.

Another thing that is often used is point sprites. They are simply textures that always face the screen (think like billboards) and have no rotation. They only need one point to define where they are because of this. They're relatively cheap and look good for many particle effects.