Sign in to follow this  

torque game engine/script

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i was woundering what the general concensus for the torque game engine was. Also the c++ 'like' torque scripting language it uses. I am only a beginner but would like to at least try and make a few simple 2d/3d games is this a good enough engine? thanx for any comments

ok thanx for that but is that all it can create a few simple fps games? as my skills progress i was hoping that the games would progress. At what level would i have to use something other than torque?

No you can create any game with it. The engine is open source and your free to edit it to your likeing to fit your needs. Tribes was made with Torque and Tribes 2 was made with Torque Advanced. Try a demo of those if you can find, theyre very fun to play.
Basically you could use Torque at any level. With it being open source theres no limit to what you can do. You can even buy a Xbox 360 license through contacting GarageGames and make a 360 game.

Quote:
Original post by pplzperson
The engine is open source and your free to edit it to your likeing to fit your needs.

I'm sorry, but unless I missed something somewhere, Torque is definitely not open source.

Quote:
Original post by dingdong
hi i was woundering what the general concensus for the torque game engine was. Also the c++ 'like' torque scripting language it uses. I am only a beginner but would like to at least try and make a few simple 2d/3d games is this a good enough engine?
thanx for any comments

Using Torque is like driving a 1969 Dodge Dart to work - that is to say, it's better than walking. If you're interested in making a game, and not making a game engine, then using Torque is almost for sure better than nothing, or trying to make your own engine from scratch. I would definitely use Torque before using any open source engine.

Ummmmmm guys, Torque is open source and it includes a precompiled version. I have been using Torque for around 5 months.
Quote from GG themselves on the products page.
"Own the engine that started the revolution. The ground-breaking technology behind Tribes continues to evolve and remains the best value in the game development industry. We even supply the Source Included to prove it!"

Really depends on your definition of "open source". If your definition is simply "you get the source code" then fine, but that's not the typical definition.

The definition typically also involves the right to redistribute the source-code royalty free, and to permit those who receive it the same freedoms. (see http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd for a more formal definition).

The Torque engine doesn't quite fit under that definition.

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.