Sign in to follow this  
KG_Brad

"rand()" function not working...

For about a day now, I've been trying to use the "rand()" function to display a random pre-defined message when players exit the game, you know, similar to Wolfenstein 3D or Doom. But every time I exit, I get the same message. Here's my code:
int exit_message()
{
	//Randomly select message
	which_message = rand()%10+1;

//Display message
	if (which_message == 1) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE1,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 2) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE2,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 3) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE3,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 4) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE4,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 5) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE5,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 6) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE6,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 7) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE7,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 8) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE8,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 9) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE9,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
	else if (which_message == 10) textout_centre_ex(screen,font,EX_MESSAGE10,SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);

//Exit
	readkey();
	return 0;
}
I don't know why it doesn't work. Is there something wrong with my code?

Do you call srand(time(0)); once at the beginning of your program. Calling it more than once or not calling it at all will result in having the same random number sequence.

Consider using arrays to store your quit messages:

const char *quitMessages[] = {
"super-cool quit message #1!",
"super-cool quit message #2!",
"super-cool quit message #3!",
/* skip a few */,
"super-cool quit message #9!",
"super-cool quit message #10!",
};

int exit_message()
{
int index = (rand() % 10) + 1
textout_centre_ex(screen,font,quit_messages[i],SCREEN_W/2,SCREEN_H/2,WHITE,-1);
}

Quote:
Do you call srand(time(0)); once at the beginning of your program.
No, I didn't call srand...

Yes, I did have them stored in an array, but it was kind of a hassle to add more messages. Now I just use #define...

EDIT: I called srand(time(0)) before rand()%10+1 and now it works. Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by KG_Brad
I believe (rand()%10) + 1 is what you are looking for.
A random number between 1 and 10, not 0 and 10.

Quote:
(rand()%10) + 1
It did the same thing as rand()%10+1. I did a Google search and found that it doesn't matter if you use parenthesis or not, it just depends on the programmer's own preference.

the modulus operator has higher precedence than +. that is why it
( rand() % 10 ) + 1 means the same as rand() % 10 + 1

Quote:
Original post by KG_Brad
Quote:
Do you call srand(time(0)); once at the beginning of your program.
No, I didn't call srand...

Yes, I did have them stored in an array, but it was kind of a hassle to add more messages. Now I just use #define...

#defines are bad. Given that your original code was frankly a bit of a W.T.F., I shudder to think what it would be like with #defines. rip-off kinda showed the preferred solution.

Here's the way I'd do it:
const char *quitMessages[] = {
"super-cool quit message #1!",
"super-cool quit message #2!",
"super-cool quit message #3!",
/* skip a few */
"super-cool quit message #10!"
};

int exit_message()
{
int index = rand() % (sizeof(quitMessages) / sizeof(quitMessages[0]));
textout_centre_ex(screen,font, quit_messages[index], SCREEN_W/2, SCREEN_H/2, WHITE, -1);
}

You never even have to tell it how many there are. You can simply add more to the array and they will be automatically included and work perfectly![cool]

Quote:
#defines are bad. Given that your original code was frankly a bit of a W.T.F., I shudder to think what it would be like with #defines. rip-off kinda showed the preferred solution.
Damn, I didn't know my code was that bad! I'll try rip-off's way if it would make it better.