Sign in to follow this  

While (std::cin num1)

This topic is 3845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm reading C++ Primer 4th ed. and consider the book so far to be brilliant. That is why I'm utterly shocked that its having me use a cin as a while condition without explaining the fact that once you exit the loop by entering a different type, all subsequent uses of cin fail to work as intended. I assume that while (std::cin >> num1) is proper and commonly used as a method to loop input especially in the case of reading from a file. My questions are: 1) how do I correct the state of cin after using this line. 2) The book uses this line frequently and as early as chapter 1. Assuming this cin behavior wasn't overlooked, I ask: does anyone know if the book explains this in a later chapter or can anyone explain why this information was left out? edit: ignore the improper subject code :|

I'm a fan of grabbing things as strings (or a full line of text) and then parsing it using std::stringstream, reading into a string can't fail unless you run out of input (or memory ;)! I just find it easier to read and write such code.

This topic is 3845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.