Dev-C++ error

Started by
8 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 16 years, 10 months ago
Using Dev-C++ version# 4.9.9.2 When I try to compile any of my programs, I get this error: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487 Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Annoyer
Advertisement
You're using a crap IDE and a crap toolchain.

The only recommendation I can give is to upgrade to Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition, which is available for free from Microsoft, and will actually work.
This error is easy to fix.

Switch to VisualC++ Express.

It's got a much better debugger, a much better compiler, people will stop telling you to switch, and it's even more free!
Well, I would like to but it can't compiple C code on it so I'm using Dev-C++.
If there is a way to use C on VC++ please tell me. Otherwise, my problem is the
same as my original problem.

Sincerely,
Annoyer
Quote:Original post by annoyer101
Well, I would like to but it can't compiple C code on it so I'm using Dev-C++.
If there is a way to use C on VC++ please tell me. Otherwise, my problem is the
same as my original problem.

Sincerely,
Annoyer

Use a .c extension instead of .cpp.

Alternatively, under your project properties page, Select:

-  Configuration Properties    -  C/C++        -   Advanced            | Compile As                    |  Compile as C Code (/TC)          v |
There is no file with a .c extension to choose from and under Configuration Properties there is nothing which say C/C++.

Set your own extension when naming the file. filename.c

As for the language, this is what you should see:

Dialog
I suggest switching to wxdev-c++. It is based on dev-c++ and has the same basic interface, minus the bugs.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Also consider code::blocks if you really wish to avoid MSVC++ in the future. If I don't use MSVC++ then I tend to use code::blocks. But that's rare.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:There is no file with a .c extension to choose from

There's this wonderful thing called "renaming your files" or "typing out the extension yourself". Both of these will work. This is very much by design.

Quote:and under Configuration Properties there is nothing which say C/C++.

It does if your project has any .c or .cpp files in it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement