A little bit o' help please

Started by
4 comments, last by Captain P 16 years, 10 months ago
I have done some C++ programming however I cannot recall what tutorials I have done exactly. My plan is that I want to develop a text adventure game with a combat,inventory,and leveling system. Describing the rooms as you enter them yada yada yada. Basically just like most text adventure games. But I don't know where to start exactly. I understand that this may be difficult to help me with seeing as you have no clue of my knowledge but where would you suggest that I start? Any articles to read to someone new to making games? Just anything that you think would be useful for tips or knowledge? Thanks alot to everyone who replies, Axis
Advertisement
My suggestion would be to learn the basics of Object Orientated Programming (that class/object stuff we all talk about). By doing this, you will be able to set up room descriptions, exit directions, etc. as well as learning a little bit more about C++ and how it works.

Another suggestion, specific to your inquiry, would be to download some MUD (multi-user dungeon) software and play with those. MUDs are (mostly) text based and not exactly C++, but they will give you an idea of object orientated programming methodologies. Doing this might lead to some ideas on how to design your project.

Anyways, best of luck!
~Argonaut________________________________Why "~Argonaut"? It's all just a mathematical expression denoting a close approximation of "Argonaut", which is irrational and can't be precisely defined.
Quote:Original post by argonaut
My suggestion would be to learn the basics of Object Orientated Programming (that class/object stuff we all talk about). By doing this, you will be able to set up room descriptions, exit directions, etc. as well as learning a little bit more about C++ and how it works.

Another suggestion, specific to your inquiry, would be to download some MUD (multi-user dungeon) software and play with those. MUDs are (mostly) text based and not exactly C++, but they will give you an idea of object orientated programming methodologies. Doing this might lead to some ideas on how to design your project.

Anyways, best of luck!

I actually have played some MUD's before so I kinda get what you are saying. But if you were to tell me exactly what to start with in a tutorial what would it be?

Thanks again
Hi;

Take a look here:

C++ LANGUAGE TUTORIAL.

At the end of the tutorial you'll develop and adventure game, exactly is in Chapter 12 - Flyaway Adventure Game.

Is simple but you can learn a lot. The tutorial is old but the examples run perfectly in Dev-C and with Visual Studio Express, although it'll launch many warnings for deprecated functions, but it'll build and compile with no problems.

good luck and good coding.
Quote:Original post by ejele012
Hi;

Take a look here:

C++ LANGUAGE TUTORIAL.

At the end of the tutorial you'll develop and adventure game, exactly is in Chapter 12 - Flyaway Adventure Game.

Is simple but you can learn a lot. The tutorial is old but the examples run perfectly in Dev-C and with Visual Studio Express, although it'll launch many warnings for deprecated functions, but it'll build and compile with no problems.

good luck and good coding.

None of the links to download the code and tutorials on that site seem to work.

OP: I'd recommend reading C++: A Dialog. I haven't read it myself, but I've heard nothing but good reviews. You might also want to look at Accelerated C++.
Don't forget to just start eventually. It's good to read up on things, especially when you're not familiar with them or feel uncomfortable with things, but at some point you have to get your feet wet. You'll encounter some problems as you go, but that's ok: these are great moments to learn new things. :)

Anyway, you may want to check the CPP Workshop board. Looks usefull. ;)

@ejele012: Looks like that article is targeting C programmers moving on to C++. Probably not really usefull in this case. I certainly miss any reference to the STL - something I'd encourage reading up on, as it'll make life easier. No char pointers, but std::string, no arrays but std::vector and std::deque.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement