Sign in to follow this  
Thomo

Multiplayer FPS help!

Hi, I'm currently programing multiplayer in an FPS over Wi-Fi. It's actually on a console, but I'm sure that any ideas for PC platform can be adapted. I have a client server connection with data and messages sending between them. I find that there is obviously a delay between the server and client update. THat is, when a character moves on the server, there is a slight pause before the same character moves on the server. I currently have interpolation to make the client catch up and not appear jerky. I am also considering a predictive motion - the client moves in it's current direction at its current sped until it recieves an update. The problem I foresee with this is that if the server makes a sudden turn, the client will continue running until it gets the new position and 'jump' after it's update. Just wondered if anyone has any tips they'd care to share with a novice network programmer. I would be truly grateful if you could point me in the direction of some resources. Cheers. Thomo.

Maybe there should be an FAQ entry about that question.

1. Server / client FPS player controls : prediction, lag compensation and cheat prevention.
-> http://www.gaffer.org/game-physics/networked-physics/
-> http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

[Edited by - oliii on June 10, 2007 10:18:51 AM]

In my work on my projects for my top down shooters I've learned that adding inertia to the player movement helps a lot. Players just think it's realistic, but it gives the server and clients extra time to compensate for a sudden change in movement. Might work for an fps I figure. But if your game is extremely fast paced then I don't know how much it will help.