Sign in to follow this  
uberflyx

Best book for mdx game programming

Hi all I've just been searching through Amazon and this sites book reviews for a good book on game programming (that focuses on the graphics side of things). I'm specifically looking for a managed (c# or VB) book because I prefer managed DX but I dont want a book for absolute beginners because I've been working with MDX for over 2 years now. I don't mind a book that uses c++ because I'm used to translating c++ to VB. (I have translated most of the SDK samples form nVidia and DX). But managed is more convinient (and efficient). The book(s) should have: - Engine programming/design - Shader engine implementation (like what commercial engines must use to work with custom shaders/effects) - Other HLSL - General DirectX Thanks in advance... :)

Unfortunately, you're not going to have a lot of luck finding such a book. The four "must haves" you listed are such general topics that they have more than enough material to warrant entire volumes of books just on those individual topics alone. Anything that attempts to cover all four of those subjects will probably only do so on a very superficial level.

Additionally, some of your "must have" topics are fatally flawed to begin with. For example, "engine programming/design" is not a science; there is no one correct way to build an engine -- and similarly no fixed set of things that "commercial engines must use to work with custom shaders/effects," and so on. Most of that stuff is dependant on the requirements of the specific project in question, so a book can't really cover them. That said, however, you might want to check out Eberly's books on 3D Game Engine Design and 3D Game Engine Architecture. They document the design and construction of the Wild Magic engine -- while not, as I noted, the best or only way to structure an engine, it is at least one way to do so and it might give you some ideas.

Books are HLSL/DirectX/MDX are not likely to be worth your money, since the APIs change so frequently (except for MDX, but MDX is effectively dead so you won't be getting too many new books) that books become outdated quickly. It's often better to buy books on the underlying concepts (graphics theory) and then use API documentation, which should be the most up-to-date information, to learn how an API applies to the theory.

Nicely said. Thanks for the reply. I admit I was hoping for an all round book (since they are quite expensive each!)

'Problem' solved... But I'd like to keep this thread open in case anyone does know of any good books they'd like to recommend along the lines of engine programming. That is, shader implementation, engine design, etc.

As you know MDX is dead, but if you are looking for a good alround book that has what you are looking for, but in XNA I would have a look at Bens book as it has all of the topics that you are looking for.

Professional XNA Game Programming

In the Book Ben talks about his Rocket Commander game and Engine and the adaption of it from MDX to XNA.