Sign in to follow this  

After Beginning C++ Game Programming...?

This topic is 3837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please recommend what should I do after reading that book. Preferbly something current about DirectX 9.c, or maybe allegro that isn't just Game Programming All in One, third edition. Also, what is the book 3D Game Programming All in One like? Could it be what I look for? I only want C++ related, please. Managed DirectX is fine as well. Thanks in advance. EDIT: I searched for related threads and they mostly only talked about these two books and outdated books, so I'm asking here.

I read the same book and went on to teach my self libSDL afterwards. So far, so so good. I imagine you can do the same, but instead reading up on SDL you can find something on DirectX.

(After reading this post I realized that it never really answered your question.)

After I read "Beginning C++ Game Programming", an excellent book by the way, I picked up "Beginning Game Programming". It is another excellent book and focuses on game programming itself, and not how to game program using an api like DirectX or OpenGL.

Even though it uses GDI and Bitmaps, the book focues on the mechanics of creating games by using examples from very basic slideshow program to an asteriods type clone. Although I haven't tried writing a game using the book yet, I am still very impressed by it's style and easy of reading.

Hope this helps you!

CaptCanada, did you code in DirectX 9.c or 9.a with Beginning Game Programming? Didn't it show any errors compiling if you tried with DirectX 9.c? Or is the book actually 9.c?

Thanks for both replies.

EDIT: starnix17, I don't really know what the SDL is, or any books related to it, so if you wanna give me a couple of hints on it I'm open to that.

EDIT2: even if you're not them you're welcome to answer those questions, of course.

[Edited by - Kin the Pumpkin King on June 11, 2007 8:37:05 AM]

This topic is 3837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.