• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Hero of Allacrost -- Second RPG Demo

This topic is 3876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings. A few minutes ago, our team released the second playable demo for our game: Hero of Allacrost. I wanted to allow you all the opportunity to give it a shot and tell us what you think so far. The demo is available for Windows, OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD so chances are good that it will run on your machine. [grin] Visit our website at the link below and click the "Download" tab to find instructions on where to download the game and how to install it. About Hero of Allacrost -- Website: http://www.allacrost.org Hero of Allacrost is a single player 2D role-playing game that shares similar appearance and gameplay as classical console RPGs. In Hero of Allacrost, the player will explore rich environments, solve challenging dungeon puzzles, and fight strategic battles in an active-time based system. The game is free open-source software and is available across several platforms including Windows, OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD. Screenshots Below are some (slightly out-dated) screenshots from various portions in this release. Click the thumbnails to view the full version.

Advertisement
I've been waiting to play that new demo. It's very impressive! Good job to you and your team!

A few things I've noticed:
- Running on the map doesn't appear to work. The README file says that cancel (D) toggles walk and run.

- Trying to configure a controller button when you have no controller hangs the game and you have to quit via Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The game doesn't freeze, but you can't cancel and clicking the X doesn't do anything. Perhaps you could make it cancel automatically after a few seconds... or simply disable the option if no controller is detected.

- When shopping for a weapon, I'd be nice to know if a weapon for sale is better than the currently equipped one so you don't end up wasting money buying an item that you won't use. Same for armors.

- Sometimes in battle, the target cursor disappears. I think it happens when you target a dead monster.

Quote:
- When shopping for a weapon, I'd be nice to know if a weapon for sale is better than the currently equipped one so you don't end up wasting money buying an item that you won't use. Same for armors.

We plan on implementing this.

Quote:
- Sometimes in battle, the target cursor disappears. I think it happens when you target a dead monster.

What action are you performing when this happens? When it comes time to select a target, which portrait on the time meter is highlighted? Currently the current character selector and the target selector are the same icon, so if you're attempting to use a healing potion, the images stack, making it look like the target selector disappeared.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looking great gents -- huge improvement over the last one. Who ever took over battle mode did a lot better than the last schlub ;)

Alright, here's my take on it.

The biggest things I'm going to pop you for are the graphics. Don't mean to be rude, but I hope you're going to use something other than these in the final product.

Anyway, on to the actual design of the game.
Art: First, I will say that you have some nice GUI and character art. The paintings of the characters as seen in the inventory screens and such are pretty nice. I also like the logo, which is kind of cool. The actual on-screen characters seem a little bitty and pixelated, and don't fit in well with the aforementioned graphics tileset.
Sound: The game doesn't have much in the way of sound effects, so I'll go on to the music. I thought that the ambient music in the game needs to be a little quieter, and that you should add some kind of background sounds according to the environment (cave = dripping water, echoey-type sounds, etc).
The one thing that I really did not like was the battle scene music. It seemed very obtrusive and obnoxious, not to mention way too loud.
Controls: Although the GUI graphics are nice, I disliked the controls. They seemed non-standard and somewhat hard to use, and I felt like I didn't have very much control. I highly suggest incorporating mouse movement into the game, instead of all-keyboard controlling.

A few other things:
- As far as stability, although I wasn't playing it for that long, I had no crashes and the game itself played very smoothly.
- If you're planning on eventually releasing a final version (I assume you are), then you should probably pack the game files into an installer rather than just a zip with a directory in it.
- Your site is very slick and well-laid out.
- I love the main menu painting. Very cool. :)

Anyway, that's my $0.02.
I don't mean to be rude or condescending by my criticisms here, so please don't take offense. :
Keep going, keep improving, and you just might make something really awesome out of this. :)

Quote:
Original post by Bearhugger
A few things I've noticed:
- Running on the map doesn't appear to work. The README file says that cancel (D) toggles walk and run.

- Trying to configure a controller button when you have no controller hangs the game and you have to quit via Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The game doesn't freeze, but you can't cancel and clicking the X doesn't do anything. Perhaps you could make it cancel automatically after a few seconds... or simply disable the option if no controller is detected.

1) Ahh, yeah I forgot to remove that from the README (I'm impressed that someone actually read that file, heh). That feature was in our first demo, but it was removed from the second for certain reasons. It will appear again later.

2) Hmm, I'll have to check this out when I have time. I have a controller so I was never able to test it without one. [smile]

3) Yeah, the shop menu was something I pretty much threw together near the end. Its not nearly as complete as we'd like it to be. In future releases it will gain that feature you mentioned plus a lot more.

4) I noticed this too. It does happen when you target a dead monster (which shouldn't happen). I just wanted to get the release out and over with so I knowingly let that bug remain in the release. I'm so ashamed >_<

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement