• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrbig

Angular Constraints?

This topic is 4150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm using a velocity-less Verlet integrator and I'm trying to implement angular constraints, but they don't seem to work very well... I've tried several methods, but they all seem to mess up the velocities. The last method I've come up with kind of works, but not always: If I want an angular constraint between the arm and the forearm, I check if the distance between the shoulder joint and the wrist joint is within some range. If it isn't, I use simple stick constraints to fix that. Here's an illustration, if it makes it any clearer... (Which I doubt...) Evil illustration... It works fine, but if, for example, the forearm rotates fast enough, the wrist joint could end up on the opposite side of the arm, and my "angular constraints" would force it to stay there, because it doesn't matter for the stick constraints on which side the wrist joint is located, it just forces it to be in a certain distance from the shoulder joint... I've tried using a dot product to check on which side the wrist is, and mirroring it if it's on the wrong side, but that also messes the velocities up. Any ideas on (preferably) how to fix my method or another method for angular constraints? Thanks in advance. Mr Big.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!