• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How can I make a web-based online game?

This topic is 3911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hmm, I want to make web multiplayer game, something like players can buy items(which will be shown as images?) they can trade them etc perhaps for a basic idea for now. I guess I want a game with writing and images only. Can anyone tell me what I should learn?Thanks

Advertisement
Well, a good start would be basic HTML and then move on to things like javascript. When you feel confident with that, start looking into serverside languages like PHP or ASP. For data storage MySQL is probably your best choice.

In the general abstract, you'd store all of your player data (characters, inventory, world state, etc) on a database somewhere. Then you'd use some language that supports CGI (PHP, Perl, Python, Haskell, .NET languages with ASP) to serve webpages to the players allowing them to make choices and showing them their current status.

That's sort of a wonky explanation, but the basic gist of it is that you need to learn web development stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement