• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help? Programs... Files/Resources etc...

This topic is 3900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I need some help... What do i need to create a engine in C++ with DirectX? As i have had some trouble with missing stuff, and such things cannot be found when compiling.. So can someone tell me a full list? Possibly with links to the files/programs etc so i know exactly what im looking for... Thanks, Dan

Advertisement
You need to give a little bit more info. At least tell us what compiler are you using. If you were to use Visual C++ Express Edition then you'll probably need the Platform SDK and the latest edition of the DirectX 9.0 SDK. If you have the full version of Visual Studio 2005, then you should only need the latest DirectX SDK.

I've never used DirectX on a different compiler so I don't know what you'll need to do in that case.

Oh, and I've read some good advice here on the subject of making a game engine: don't do it. Instead just make a game. As you make more games then you can figure out how to extract the components that would consist of the game engine by refactoring your code and having a better grasp of how to architect the thing. I've never made an engine, but that's what I've heard. Hope that helps.

Got something to add to this question myself:

There are several different versions of the windows SDK available for download. The most recent one is #

Quote:

Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit for Windows Vista and .NET Framework 3.0 Runtime Components

Going by the name of it, it's doesn't seem compatible with WinXP (which I'm using). However, a bit further down the page it says:

Quote:

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2003 x64 editions; Windows Vista; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Is this the right version to download to use on WinXP?

I have, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 , What libarys(?) and sdk's etc do i need?
What version of DirectX would be good for me to use? As i want to create something that will run on both XP and Vista...

I am using Vista as my Operating System if that means anything to anyone...

Thanks,
Dan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement