• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] New to directx

This topic is 3863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya I am quite new to Direct x. And i am really struggling in finding out the logic behind adjusting the camera and how about the coordinates(x,y,z and u,v). Is there any link from where i can learn these basics. And one more thing. I am using C#.net with Direct x, So can i create any 3d application using this. Well i have heard C++ is better but i would like to use C#.NET. So is it fine if i continue with this.... if there are any good e-books for the same then pls do mention it. Thanks a lot

Advertisement
Which DirectX are you using from C#? I presume Managed DirectX 1.1, since 2.0 was timebombed.

There are some other alternatives as of late. Microsoft has decided not to release new versions of Managed DirectX, instead focusing on XNA, which can be run on XP, Vista and Xbox 360, and has a new API. This may or may not be for you. Its not much good if you intend to bring your knowlege over to native C++ some day.

Some coders from this forum have recently been bringing their own Managed DirectX wrapper into being, called SlimDX. Its a work-in-progress, but has real applications running on it already. SlimDX essentially intends to bring all the DirectX 9.0c features to Managed code, without simplifying things as much as XNA does. It only includes Direct3D last I heard, with no fixed-function. Its probably not for you right now, but something to keep an eye on.

[Edited by - ravyne2001 on June 22, 2007 5:58:27 PM]

Hiya!

I too started out with MDX and I still think it is the nicest API to work with. Don't worry, C# is very good for making games these days with all the managed libraries out there.

I have made a small game engine, MGE, using C# and MDX that you can study if you want (Source code included). Games using the engine can be found here and here. I am currently rewriting MGE using SlimDX as the API, but it will be a while before I have anything to show.

Quote:
Original post by ravyne2001
XNA, which has more features than MDX

No it doesn't. It has simpler device management, but is less feature complete overall. Some of this is due to features not being implemented yet (occlusion, networking, to name two), and some is due to the api being limited to the capabilities of the console (a single proprietary audio format and support for only the xbox controller, for example). Another thing that many consider an advantage of xna is the content pipeline: but it's only there because consoles require it, and it can make adding custom content very cumbersome. Lets not forget the lack of the fixed function pipeline, too.

Xna is very nice, but I think users solely targeting windows are best off using mdx. Either that or a mix of the two.

[Edited by - gharen2 on June 20, 2007 11:29:47 PM]

True, I don't know how I let that slip through. Lack of Coffee perhaps...

Edited for truth.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement