college

Started by
6 comments, last by Telastyn 16 years, 10 months ago
I am a sophmore going on junior and it's about time I started looking for a college. Can anyone make any good suggestions on colleges with a good computer science major?
Advertisement
I'm the same as you (sophomore going to junior high school) i was looking since freshman year and i found digipen (digipen.edu)
I've also taken a loo at DiGiPen and I think it's great, but the problem is that I live in the New England area and thats real fa from home.
Some of the most reputable computer science universities in North America include MIT, CMU, Berkeley, University of Toronto and the University of Waterloo.

These are a few you could start off with.

In general when "game schools" like Digipen and Full Sail are mentioned, other posters advise against them because their area of study is very tightly focused. Should the games industry have issues, or should you become unemployable or sick of the games industry you may have issues trying to find employment in other development jobs. A computer science degree is much more versatile.
If you don't want to travel too far from home, you've got:
RIT
RPI
University of Rochester
MIT
CMU
Amongst others.

But they're all pretty pricey. How much can you afford, and how far are you willing to go?

Quote:Original post by Ravuya
In general when "game schools" like Digipen and Full Sail are mentioned, other posters advise against them because their area of study is very tightly focused. Should the games industry have issues, or should you become unemployable or sick
of the games industry you may have issues trying to find employment in other development jobs. A computer science degree is much more versatile.

All I can speak for is Digipen, but it's also really lacking in the general college experience. Basically, all there is to do there is work. And maybe play a game of MTG or D&D. If that's your cup of tea, more power to you, but it lacks a lot in terms of "campus life".
I don't mind goning as far as Ohio. My college bugdet depends on what my parents are willing to contribute and what money I have in my account when the time comes around
Quote:Original post by kthy1
I don't mind goning as far as Ohio. My college bugdet depends on what my parents are willing to contribute and what money I have in my account when the time comes around

a feel what u saying. but i live down in Florida and I'm willing to go to digipen. i know about fullsail but meh its for rich people. I will go digipen unless i find a computer engineering college unless i find something else
Quote:Original post by kthy1

You should not constrain yourself so. There are scholarships from a variety of sources for a variety of reasons. Might not be big, but every bit helps. Plus college loans are readily available at low rates from the government (and elsewhere).

Your education will be the second (and arguably the first) most important investment you'll make in your lifetime. A good education will have a visible, immediate impact on your job prospects and 40 odd years worth of paychecks. The loans will easily pay for themselves (assuming you get through college; not all of us are so lucky or wise).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement