• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
murdock

Project Management Software- Recommendation Requested

This topic is 4010 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Can you provide some details of what exactly you're looking for? What features do you need; what kind of project(s) would you be working on; what's your team like; etc.?

Basically it's a team of one right now. Just looking for something generic to better organize myself and for possibly use in future game dev projects.

Do you need a To Do list? Bug tracker? Version control? There's a truly huge amount of software available out there, and different people/teams consider different things to be essential to getting their job done. Without some idea of what exactly you're wanting this software solution to do, it's a little hard to make any suggestions [wink]

I think that dotProject might help you well with managing your project in a project management kind of way. In it you can create a project with tasks and assign these tasks you specific persons. A ganttchart shows you the progress and planning.

That sounds almost exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in need of more of an advanced ToDo list like you said.

I'm currently using Trac (at work and home). Its a task/bug/issue tracker (like bugzilla, or others) and has a built-in wiki too (good for documenting stuff on the fly). It also integrates with subVersion nicely for source control.

If notepad (or your other favorite text editor) will suffice, use that.

If that's not working, try Excel (or your other preferred spreadsheet). Joel on Software had some good tips on how to use that for scheduling/task tracking.

If Excel isn't working, think hard about whether you're making things too complicated on yourself.

Beyond that, I've only used Microsoft Project (at work). It was OK, sometimes really helpful, other times it just wouldn't do what I wanted it to.

Good luck,
Geoff

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
I'm currently using Trac (at work and home). Its a task/bug/issue tracker (like bugzilla, or others) and has a built-in wiki too (good for documenting stuff on the fly). It also integrates with subVersion nicely for source control.

I can second that trac can really help to improve the project organization. The biggest advantage is that you get a whole package of tools that work nicely together. This way you can create a task (called "ticket" in trac) for one of your programmers, assign it to him, include a link to various design documents that you might have collected at your trac wiki and link to the files that would be affected by this (trac offers a sourcecode browser).

So if you're going for SVN, I can strongly encourage the use of trac :-)

Try Wrike at www.wrike.com. It works pretty well for me for several things. I plan and manage projects there. I create most of the tasks via e-mail, then organize them online in groups and hierarchies. You can include one task in many groups, so it’s more like tagging. In our small team, we also use it as a bug-tracker. We e-mail screenshots to each other.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!