Is it cheeky to ask...

Started by
11 comments, last by JBourrie 16 years, 10 months ago
I am currently coding a game single handedly and i was wonderering, is it cheeky to ask for donations once the game is finished? The donations would be used for buying new books to expand my programming knowlage, but i really dont like asking. Would any1 even donate do you think, ofcourse donations are just donations and are not required, is it even worth asking ? >.< Thanks
Advertisement
Nothing wrong with that.
If you mean that you'll be releasing your game free of charge, then no I don't think there's anything wrong with letting people know that you're accepting donations. Though unless you have a really kick-butt game, I don't think you'll have much luck.
You mean asking for donations from people who played the game? No, certainly nothing wrong with that. The original bittorrent client installed with a link to give the author money; a lot of freeware games do the same.

-me
Nah, go for it. If you want to avoid cheekiness, just word it in a non-assumptive way. "If you enjoyed my game..." "If you find my program useful...", *request*.
Back before this newfangled intarwebnet thing, a lot of free/share ware programs came with the authors postal address so you could send them donations if you liked their products!
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
Back before this newfangled intarwebnet thing

god i love that, think i'll make it into a sig =)

anyway,

Asking for donations for freeware games is as old as...well video games are. There is nothing 'cheeky' about it, its a way to do what you love and still have the posibility of getting something out of it in the end.

Asking for donations is cheeky? absolutely not!
if people like your product(s)/game(s) and they have the money, they may donate.
Also it's sometimes good to say what the money goes into so people know what their money will be used for eg. "Your donation will used for imporving product X".
Well those are my thoughts on the subject :)
Its perfectly fine to ask for donations, i mean you worked hard to make the game and all that so asking for a donation is just a way to get a little back, most people would appreciate the fact that you are asking for donations rather than charging them up front. Also you would have to have a pretty good game that at least looks like you worked hard in order for people to donate.
Quote:
i was wonderering...
knowlage, but i really dont like asking...
Would any1 even donate do you think, ofcourse...

Maybe you should be buying grammar and spelling books rather than programming books.

I think, as many others do, it's fine, as long as you're not MAKING us give you money it's not morally bad at all. If people think it's good and have a spare buck or two (and aren't tight-arses) they're likely to throw it your way.

Look forward to seeing your project; I always get intrigued when people tell of their indie projects as if they're near to completion. Good luck.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement