Career in Gaming

Started by
7 comments, last by JohnHurt 16 years, 10 months ago
HI My name is Orlando and I have been out of high School for three years which was a major mistake in my part, but recently I've decided I want a career in gaming. Others have told me I wouldn't be able to accomplish this but i figure they are trying to hold down my dreams. I don't care what it takes, I really wanna do this so I'm taking the first steps and going to School for multimedia 3d design and animation and after I get my degree hope to move out west and take classes for gaming and simulation and hopfully get a job. I know it'll take time and lots of effort but I know I'll be able to do this. So I would like to know if anyone else is in about the same shoes as I am? I hope this fourm can help with most my problems and questions. Just wanted to let you know who I am and what I'm after so nice to meet you all. ^_^
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by grizzlymidnight
but recently I've decided I want a career in gaming.

Gaming, or game development? The two are very different.

Assuming you meant game development, what field? There's programming, design, art, production, HR, and all the subsets thereof (plus a few more fields I've probably forgotten). I'd do a bit of research on all the fields, then choose the one that most interests you and pursue that.
Well it's definitely possible. If you are just now trying to enter the industry what you need first, these days, no matter what discipline you choose is:

1) a high school degree
2) a college degree

They only make exceptions for #2 nowadays for people who have already been working in games or who already have professional experience in their chosen discipline.

-me
Buy this book. That'll tell you mostly everything you need to know about career options, required skills, etc...

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Yep, I am in the same shoes as you. I want to become a game programmer, so. :)
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar
Gaming, or game development? The two are very different.

Hehe, technically (or at least in business literature) the "gaming industry" refers to the gambling companies (IGT, Aristocrat, etc...). If you can't get a job for a games developer you could always try those guys out - it's pretty much the same but the game designs are a *lot* simpler (and repetitive), the hardware is about 10 years too old and they hire programmers with much less experience. The team sizes, pay rates and artistic talent are the same as for video games though ;)
hey man, i'm in the exact same boat you are, a few years remooved from high school and was wondering what it takes to get into game programming, etc...

and this is what i've learned so far.

learn a programming language (java, C++, C# and Python seem to be the popular ones among these folks)

get hte tools(compiler)

learn the basic programming (data manipulation, making simple "what's your name" programs where it asks the person's name and then prints it.)

then you have to learn what an API is, which is basicly third party add on to a language that allows you to use graphics, handle input, sound, etc(this is a very simple, incorrect explanation of what it is, but by the time you need to knwo how it really works, you'll already know)

for java its included in the tools you donwload, for C++, "SDL" seems to be the easiest to get a hang of, for python its called "PyGame"

start trying to learn how to use that, then it starts getting clearer.

and while you're doing all this, lookin into going to college for "Computer Science", by the time you're done that, esspecially with the parallel learn you'd be doing on your own, you'll be fully capable of putting together a demo game, then you use that with your resume to look for jobs

thats a streamlined version of basicly what you have ot do, other than that, spend as much time as you can coding, problem solving, and don't get frustrated and give up.

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Hi,
I am same situation as you are aswell, I had to leave highshool about 2-3years ago now(Own reasons).. And i couldnt get a place anywhere else. I am going to college at the end of this year..

While i was off, I did various stuff in communitys around the internet... Learnt how to Texture and "Basic" modeling. I love to Design and Come up with ideas for games...

And im currently learning C++

So your not the only one :) , I wish you the best of luck! :)
Hi,

It's definitely possible. I've just finished a Software Engineering degree and have been offered a job as a game programmer in a pretty large game studio here in England. I was pretty lucky I think (since I don't even have my results yet!), but as long as you have a decent demo and lots of passion, you can get there.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement