• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grizzlymidnight

Maya

This topic is 4120 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm wondering how long do I have to save cash before I can afford this software? It's really expensive but for the time being what would be a good affordable software that'll help me out?

Advertisement
If you're just wanting to learn how to use Maya, they have a freely available Personal Learning Edition, which you can use to create models, etc...

If you're wanting to create models to use in games, etc...you can use the freely available Blender. It's not the easiest to use, but it's certainly very powerful, and used quite frequently by OpenSource game teams.

Cheers!

I believe Maya personal learning edition (Maya PLE) is *still* available for free download, if you aren't doing anything commercial with it (yet).

If you're hoping to eventually use another version of Maya, you might seriously consider using Maya PLE.

linky to Maya PLE

HTH,
-Michael g.

if you are going to school in the US, maya is only like $200 or so for the complete version. the unlimited version is like $350 or so though. it is really affordable for students. typically ordering directly through your college bookstore you can get even better deals (like my bookstore office pro was only $99).

if you aren't going to school, blender is much better than it was many years ago, and it definitely has become the leader of all the free open source packages.

Quote:
Original post by Thr33d
I believe Maya personal learning edition (Maya PLE) is *still* available for free download, if you aren't doing anything commercial with it (yet).

If you're hoping to eventually use another version of Maya, you might seriously consider using Maya PLE.

linky to Maya PLE

HTH,
-Michael g.

Wow thank you for yourhelp! this is gonna help alot. I'm going threw the tutorials and learning alot more very quick, this is gonna take alot of time to get really good with but I know I'll do it. Thank you so much and everyone else for your help and support.

Quote:
Original post by jwalsh
If you're just wanting to learn how to use Maya, they have a freely available Personal Learning Edition, which you can use to create models, etc...

If you're wanting to create models to use in games, etc...you can use the freely available Blender. It's not the easiest to use, but it's certainly very powerful, and used quite frequently by OpenSource game teams.

Cheers!

thanks for this program, its pretty cool and easy to learn.awesomeness LOL thanks bud ^_^

Hi grizzlymidnight,

Be sure to check out Lightwave(Click Here)

They have a demo version and for students it's really cheap, you can do all with Lightwave what you can do with Maya and do not have to pay for upgrades as you have to for Maya, this means that since NewTek released Lightwave 9.0, there was/is going to be a free upgrade to 9.2 and most certainly there will be a free upgrade to 9.5

The advantage you also have is that for instance, when you don't want to upgrade let's say, when they bring out 10.0, but you do want to upgrade to 11.0 in the future, you don't have to pay full price as you have to do with Maya, you just pay a smaller amount for the upgrade to 11.0 for instance.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!