Implementing and Using Buttons

Started by
3 comments, last by Nytegard 16 years, 10 months ago
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm new... what's up? Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out how to use a button that I have created with the CreateWindow function. int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { WNDCLASSEX wc; WNDCLASSEX wb; HWND hwnd; HWND hwndButton; MSG Msg; wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); wc.style = 0; wc.lpfnWndProc = WndProc; wc.cbClsExtra = 0; wc.cbWndExtra = 0; wc.hInstance = hInstance; wc.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION); wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW+1); wc.lpszMenuName = NULL; wc.lpszClassName = g_szClassName; wc.hIconSm = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION); //wb.lpfnWndProc = ButtonProc; if(!RegisterClassEx(&wc)) { MessageBox(NULL, "Window Registration Failed!", "Error!", MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK); return 0; } hwnd = CreateWindowEx( WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, g_szClassName, "A Bitmap Program", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXFULLSCREEN) / 2 - myWindowWidth / 2, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYFULLSCREEN) / 2 - myWindowHeighth / 2, myWindowWidth, myWindowHeighth, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL); // HERE IS MY BUTTON! hwndButton = CreateWindow( "BUTTON", // predefined class "Click Me", // button text WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD | BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON, // styles // Size and position values are given explicitly, because // the CW_USEDEFAULT constant gives zero values for buttons. myWindowWidth / 2 - 50, // starting x position myWindowHeighth / 2 - 50, // starting y position 100, // button width 100, // button height hwnd, // parent window NULL, // No menu (HINSTANCE) GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_HINSTANCE), NULL); // pointer not needed if(hwnd == NULL) { MessageBox(NULL, "Window Creation Failed!", "Error!", MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK); return 0; } ShowWindow(hwnd, nCmdShow); UpdateWindow(hwnd); while(GetMessage(&Msg, NULL, 0, 0) > 0) { TranslateMessage(&Msg); DispatchMessage(&Msg); } return Msg.wParam; } So... how do I get the button to do anything? I need an example of something happening when the button is pressed, like for example, another window pops up. Thanks.
Yes, sir, I AM a female programmer.
Advertisement
This is everything you can do with buttons

This shows you how to use it and has example code
EDIT: I was wrong =) It really has been a long time. See the post above for more info, he's got good links. =)
- Edgar Verona"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne

Thanks, but I've already gone there... I'm still slightly confused.

Yes, sir, I AM a female programmer.
Quote:Original post by superqtip182
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne

Thanks, but I've already gone there... I'm still slightly confused.

OK, the second link is what you should pay attention too. Every button needs a name (a numeric identifier).

Let's take the Clear Boxes button.

It's name would be IDC_CLEARBOXES.

#define IDC_CLEARBOXES 107 // top push button

Now, to tell whether the button has been pressed or not, you need to check during the WndProc message handling. In this case, clicking a button sends a WM_COMMAND message. Now, you're asking, that's great, but how to distinguish between buttons and other commands? Well, the identifier you gave your button, along with other information is passed into the WPARAM and LPARAM parameters. The HIWORD of the WPARAM will notify you when a BN_CLICKED message has been received. And the LOWORD of the WPARAM will notify you of exactly what identifer was called.

Right now, your button has no identifier. I believe (could be wrong, it's late right now), you want to assign the identifer in the HMENU location.

And for future reference, placing your code in source tags ([source][/source]) will make it easier to read.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement