• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Hello!!

This topic is 3877 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm new to this site, so i just wanted to introduce my self. anyways, i'm trying to learn how to program games. i've started on a c++ tutorial and i'm wondering if there is any better way to learn programming as it applies to games? p.s. my current skill level is "Hello, World!"

Advertisement
Hello!

As painful as it is, you have to learn the language basics before you can code a full game, so start small, get a feel for the language, then you can start with a small game. From here you can work up, and eventualy onto the big 3D stuff!

GL m8!

Well, keep doing those online C++ tutorials, then head over to your bookstore and get a Beginning C++ book (stay away from anything graphical, ie DirectX, OpenGL). Work through that, DO THE EXERCISES at the end of the chapter, even if you completely understand them and feel that it would be pointless, DO THEM. Then, once you finish that book, if you saw another Beginning C++ book that you were interested in, pick that up and work through that. Then, pick up a C++ game programming book and work through that, then get another one, and another one, and another one. Then once you've cleared out your local bookstore, if you're still interested, start getting the books dealing with graphics, and work through those. That's pretty much the process. If you can take courses through a local college or school, take those. Browse online for more tutorials, read forums, and look for books to purchase online. Oh, and don't forget the most important thing of all, START PROGRAMMING! You just need to do it, just start, start with something, make something, do something. Don't just read, read and code! Good luck!

Definitely spend plenty of time with the basics before you try anything with graphics or real-time interactivity. Do lots of different loops and conditional statements, try to do some complex stuff with black-and-white text before you try your hand at Tetris.

*Agrees with the above posts*

However, I may also recommend that you try a different language (if you have no programming experience). I'm not saying that you can't learn c++ as a first language at all, its just has a higher learning curve then some other languages. There are several languages out there to choose from so it may seem a bit intimidating, but I started programming with Java, and I have some co-workers that started there programming with Basic. These languages are a bit easier to learn because they don't have some of the "advanced features" that c++ carries.

Definitely check out this article : http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/davegpg/

and keep on reading and learning and trying new things!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement