• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tannyr

Apprenticeships

This topic is 4055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm nearing the end of my high school experience, and I find myself still lost on game development. I've tried to go through the process of making a 2d game, and have near succeeded, but it seems every time I finish learning a new aspect, there's yet another, equally important subject I need to learn. This I'm fine with, but in the midst of this.....orgy of knowledge, I'm beginning to feel very disoriented as far as direction. I feel a apprenticeship would be an amazing benefit, if possible. I don't feel I have much to offer yet, and with such an insecurity of my personal knowledge of everything, with no end result thus far. It seems "school" fits this definition better, but out of curiosity, is there any helpful information as far as apprenticeships? (I'm a tad tired. Excuse any confusion/misleading metaphors I may have included.)

Advertisement
I've never heard of a game company taking on high-school grads as apprentices.

However, my g/f managed to get an internship with a small indi developer after completing a comp-science degree. It only paid $200/week though, which covered half the rent and a few groceries.

I'd focus on getting entry into a computer-science/software-engineering course when you finish school. They'll not only teach you the ins and outs of programming, but they'll teach you to be a better learner too.

Yes, go to college, and take Computer Science courses. Your college should be able to provide information regarding internships, but you will most likely have to wait a few years until after you finish some courses before you will be accepted for an internship. Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!