• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

help

This topic is 3872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Since i'm new to all this game programming stuff and very dummie in this areas i have this doubt related with graphics: A game is mostly composed by graphics right? so in wich manner does this works? do we have to create every single graphic object (with some software like photoshop) that makes part of a map for example or can we use some graphic engine software that makes the process easier ? Here's an example: a game like BLITZKRIEG, i have played a bit with its editor and noticed that it has tons of graphic objects (trees, houses, terrain objects just to mention a few) how can i do something similiar ? Is there any free graphic object library available or a graphic engine helps me with it ? [url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/4634/atstexemploth5.jpg[/img][/url] Joao

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jpb
A game is mostly composed by graphics right?
It is definitely a huge chunk of the work involved in creating a game. However it's debatable whether Game==graphics [smile]

Quote:
Original post by jpb
so in wich manner does this works?
There are a huge number of possibilities. Typically an artist will create source data ('content creation') and the graphics code will render it to the screen as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Original post by jpb
do we have to create every single graphic object (with some software like photoshop) that makes part of a map for example or can we use some graphic engine software that makes the process easier ?
Again, big topic really. You're basically asking about pre-made content versus procedural content. The general trend as I see it is towards the procedural content - having the computer generate as much of the content as possible is a huge win given the time/cost involved in hand-creating each and every asset. At the moment the majority of graphical content will be pre-made by an artist.

Quote:
Original post by jpb
how can i do something similiar ? Is there any free graphic object library available or a graphic engine helps me with it ?
These forums have some lists (to be honest, I forget where - maybe one of the contest forums) of free art assets and engines/libraries. Bare in mind you have to go to a very high level of abstraction to be just "dragging and dropping" objects into a game environment - you may find that anything else requires a huge amount of work and thats not even considering the learning you'll have to do if you're new to the field.

hth
Jack

Is it a comon practice to create the "in game graphics" (not menus and stuff) in software like 3D Studio Max ? If it is, what are the best ways to link those graphics to the programing code ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement