Non-Standard Constructors

Started by
4 comments, last by SunTzu 16 years, 10 months ago
Hey Guys(and Girls) have hit a snag with a manager i'm writing if you create a basic class such as

class Foo{
private:
public:
   Foo(int input);
   int Bar;
}

Foo::Foo(int input){
   Bar = Input;
}

and create an array of them on the heap

Foo* m_FooArray = new Foo[100];

can you initialise them all with the same non standard constructor? something like this(but this particular syntax doesnt work)

Foo* m_FooArray = new Foo[100](27);

i've found it possible to get the same thing done other ways ie: add a default constructor and a function to do the same thing as the constructor,then cycle through each entry and use that function: like so

class Foo{
private:
public:
   BarInit(i);
   int Bar;
}

Foo::BarInit(int input){
   Bar = Input;
}

Foo* m_FooArray = new Foo[100];

for(int i = 0;i<256;i++){
   Foo->BarInit(27);
}

but it just seems so inelegant Thank you in advance for any help ps: if the same thing can be done with std::vector i am open to that as well
--------------------------------------EvilMonkeySoft Blog
Advertisement
Array elements are initialized with the default constructor; there is no away around that. You must take the appropriate extra steps to assign each element the appropriate values, or use a std::vector (which you should be doing anyway):
std::vector< T > listOfT(numberOfElements,T(parameters,to,Ts,constructor));

The above creates a vector of T with numberOfElements copies of the specified T object.
Thank you

The std::vector consrtuctor initialisation thing is exactly what i was looking for
--------------------------------------EvilMonkeySoft Blog
Quote:Array elements are initialized with the default constructor; there is no away around that.

Technically untrue; see placement new. But, well, I don't consider placement new "elegant" as the initial post requested and the vector solution is better anyway, so, </pedantry> and on your way...
Quote:
Technically untrue; see placement new. But, well, I don't consider placement new "elegant" as the initial post requested and the vector solution is better anyway, so, </pedantry> and on your way...

Placement new does not allow you to initialize array elements wholesale. It allows you to construct a new object reusing the memory of an old, dead object or using a raw pool of memory. These are not the same thing at all.
I did not claim that they were the same. Merely that placement new can be used to construct objects in an array with a non-default constructor, which the previous poster had said was impossible (in fact it's the only way to have objects that do not have a default constructor in an array); at no time did I say or imply that this meant you could construct such objects wholesale. In fact, the fact you still can't do that is exactly what I meant when I said that it's not an elegant solution to the initial problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement