• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kin the Pumpkin King

Can't find Allegro tutorials with C++

This topic is 4084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would anyone point me to the direction of the best allegro tutorials out there? Except... only ones that use C++ and *not* C. Also, would anyone recomend using SDL instead, if yes, why? Thanks in advance. EDIT: Also, would the third edition of Game Programming All in One use c++? And, does allegro have network support?

Advertisement
Allegro does not have built-in networking, no. You'll need a seperate lib for that.

Pretty much any Allegro tutorial in C can be adapted to C++. Good way to get your hands dirty in the code and learn what it's doing IMHO. [totally] I guess you could go hunt for some old Pixelate issues online. I know I personally wrote at least one article in there for making a vertical shooter with Allegro and liberal use of the STL and polymorphism (just because I could). [cool] Probably more C++ in there too.

Most people just don't write many C++-only tuts since C users can't make use of it, but everyone can learn from C tutorials.

And I have a rule about SDL vs Allegro. If you don't have enough experience with either library to decide, then you're not at a place where their minor differences will matter to you. They are equally capable. Pick one and go.

So I shouldn't have trouble trying to learn from C tutorials?

I just thought that would be kind of hard to understand, since I heard it uses so many structs and all that, and I wouldn't know how to convert that to C++.

Pretty much any given C code should compile fine as C++, with the odd niggling about void pointers or whatever. [smile] In any case, if you know basic C++ first (which is recommended) you can adapt quickly. Structs are just classes with default public members instead of private ones, for example. No big trick to it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!