• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
guvidu

About occlusion

This topic is 4052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I have posted a topic earlier about occlusion but i decided to delete it becouse i was asking stupid questions in it. Now that i documented a little more i want to ask you guys a question. What is the best way to occlude my objects. First i test which object are occluded (i do this in the update function?) and then i render only the ones that are not occluded - ( i do this in render) Is this correct? or? Thanks!

Advertisement
For faster prototyping I suggest to have a dummy function always returning <unoccluded>.
The rationale is very simple: until you don't have **real** artwork with a real degree of complexity there's no point in having occlusion.

You may be surprised of how fast the vid cards after Radeon9xxx are at processing vertices.
I am confident right now a good batching solution (even in GL) can easily outperform most occlusion optimizations.

Not to say that you should put occlusion optimization techniques in the trashcan, but still wait till you need it. Crash-tests are good but sometimes far from reality. Simple tests does not have enough dataset to exercise the workforce.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!