Help installing Allegro in Visual C++ 2005

Started by
7 comments, last by MadsGustaf 16 years, 8 months ago
I'm just recently got the book "Game Programming All in One" by Jonathan S. Harbour. With it comes allegro and instructions to install it in Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. They give us a bin, include and lib with the directions copy the entire contents of lib and include into C:\Program File\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC and then copy the dll files in bin to your \Windows\System32 folder. I did all this but everytime I try to run I get "This application has failed to start becuase MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." error. I've re-installed both the allegro parts and Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition and still get it. I also downloaded the .dll and placed it into the SYSTEM32 folder but that caused more errors so I deleted it. So what do I need to do to get this working?
TKE Super Dave
Advertisement
It is suggested here that using another version of the allegro library might solve the problem. Are you using the newest version?
Follow these instructions, making sure to get the run time libraries correct.
Thanks KenForce the instructions you pointed me too worked.
TKE Super Dave
Okay I lied. It didn't completely work. Anytime I use the printf it doesn't compile it and I can't figure out why. I've tried several programs some which I have copied straight from a book or webpage and others I've typed in and none of them with the printf were able to be compiled.
TKE Super Dave
There is a precompiled VC++ 2005 copy of Allegro floating around somewhere, I don't have the direct link but you should be able to find it without too much trouble.

About the printf, in Allegro you probably wont be using the console, so use the Allegro functions textout_ex() or textprintf_ex() instead. They're documented in the Allegro help file.
Good post konForce! I bought the same book last week and ran into the same problem right off the bat. I followed the instructions thru the link (which differ a bit from the book...) and everything works properly now.
As a follow-up. . .

The book says (and has a picture of) to link to alleg.lib in the "Additional Dependencies" field for the Debug configuration. From what I've been able to tell from google searches is that in the Debug configuration you should link to alld.lib and in the Release configuration you should link to alleg.lib.

Hope it helps!
i just bought the same book and am facing the same problems as the author of this topic, for some reason i seem to get some weird proxy error thingy when trying to enter the link konForce posted, can someone make a copy+paste from the page? or give me guidence?
•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•..•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•. Mads .•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜ ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜I am going to live forever... or die trying!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement