• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

You may remember Stick Soldiers...

This topic is 3908 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

From a few years back. Since working with AdmiralBinary -the psychotic genious that Tim was- I love nothing more than developing games. The thing is, it was the fact that we worked on stuff in person and not over the 'net that made it so much fun. Well, Tim moved away from my town, and I've now moved a huge distance away from where he now lives. So what I want to know is... Are there any programmers in Auckland New Zealand who are interested in developing games at a beginner-novice (who actually have some experience in making games _outside of Uni_) lvl that would like a decent skilled artist to work with. I'm talking small projects, like small 2D Iso RTS's, RPG's etc shit thats FUN. I'm currently semi-involved in the development of Stick Soldiers III, and another little project, but I'm really keen to get back into dev'ing with a REAL person :)

Advertisement
Whoa. This may sound somewhat cheesy but Stick Soldiers and SS2 are at the very worst, my #3 all time favourite games. I would love to work with you but unfortunately I live in Australia and am still in high school. I have some game development experience and I know how to create applications using C#.NET and VB.NET. I also like web design and am currently working on a website using HTML, CSS and PHP. If you would like to contact me, simply post a reply regarding this message in this thread and I will create a GD.NET account to continue talking.

Conveniently (and incredibly surprisingly) enough I also tried to contact you and SuperRoy via email addresses but SuperRoy appears to be inactive and your email address returned my email with a 'send fail' message. I thought that you had all long disappeared off the face of the earth, and I had to resort to using the WayBack machine to look at the old WSU. I believe SS1 was superior to SS2 in many ways, and even if you do not want to work on another Stick Soldiers version I would still like to help you make a (preferably 2D, I like 2D games more) game.

I love the work that is being done on SS3 and I check the forums regularly even though I don't have an account and so do not post. My only gripe with SS3 is the long development time, but the reasons behind that have been explained time and time again, I understand them and they do not need reiterating.

And yes, be quiet about my nickname, I wasn't terribly imaginative when I started getting more involved on the Internet. I'm still kinda in shock that this topic exists even after all these years.

Quote:
Whoa. This may sound somewhat cheesy but Stick Soldiers and SS2 are at the very worst, my #3 all time favourite games. I would love to work with you but unfortunately I live in Australia and am still in high school. I have some game development experience and I know how to create applications using C#.NET and VB.NET. I also like web design and am currently working on a website using HTML, CSS and PHP. If you would like to contact me, simply post a reply regarding this message in this thread and I will create a GD.NET account to continue talking.

Its funny that you say your from Aus, 'cos thats where Andrew Russell Studios is bases, but yea I'm working on SS3 completely over the internet, which is still awsome as hell that I'm still making games, but not as fun as when we made SS1 and 2 (which is when me and AB lived in the same town).

Quote:
Conveniently (and incredibly surprisingly) enough I also tried to contact you and SuperRoy via email addresses but SuperRoy appears to be inactive and your email address returned my email with a 'send fail' message. I thought that you had all long disappeared off the face of the earth, and I had to resort to using the WayBack machine to look at the old WSU. I believe SS1 was superior to SS2 in many ways, and even if you do not want to work on another Stick Soldiers version I would still like to help you make a (preferably 2D, I like 2D games more) game.

Aah yea, SR hasnt been part of the whole SS thing since a short while into the SS3 development, for the exact reasons I'm not too sure. As to why you couldn't get hold of me in person, thats strange, my email address hasn't changed since I first had the internet.

SS1 was great, it was incredibly simple, with basic gameplay and pure fun factor in mind, and the fact it took 3 weeks to program and another 5 weeks to clean all the bugs (thats guestimation right there) up made it look pretty good for us :P (me and AdmiralBinary, tho I can't take all of the credit, Tim actually got hold of me about 2 weeks after starting SS1 and asked me to help him clean up some of the gameplay balancing and such, which I did, and one or two pics for the game,).

SS2 would have been great but I think Tim burned himself out on that one, it was one incredibly over-promised game IMO, we both had underestimated the type of work we would need to put into the kind of game we had imagined (LESSON LEARNED :P).

It's awsome to hear that SS1 and 2 is still up there :D (hell that thread is still in the top 20 threads of all time I think)

Anywho Andrew Russell, myself & co are gunna make sure SS3 is just as fun as SS1 :) (without overpromising here :P)

I emailed you at 'antilogichyper@hotmail.com' and SR at 'cheesemonk13@hotmail.com', both emails I got off your archived GD.NET profiles from the WayBack machine. I checked your profiles that were on the web but it didn't show your emails (or it did and it gave me those ones) and all the last thread\post dates were ages ago, so I was somewhat upset. Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else but SS1 was put into the PC World "Free Games" minibook, vol1, and that's where I found it from.

I like the visuals in SS1 more than the SS2 visuals, they just seemed so much more plain and simple, which added to the score when you took into account the game play. I think that if you merged the first two Stick Soldiers and added multiplayer, then you could sell that by itself, let alone all the features that you're putting into SS3.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and you can rest assured that at least I will buy SS3 when it comes out ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement