• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Trandafira

Frustum Culling issue

This topic is 3998 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have written a frustum culler that takes into account the w coordinate of transformed vertices of bounding boxes of all of my objects. The problem i am having, is that i cull out meshes that cover more than the frustum such as a large sea plane. Would anyone know a solution to this problem?

Advertisement
The standard frustum culling algorithm, correctly implemented, should not cull bounding boxes whose vertices do not lie in the frustum but that nevertheless intersect the frustum (I assume this is the case you're having trouble with).

If you can describe in more detail the algorithm you're using currently, we can probably help you identify the source of the problem.

I'm using a technique that works rather well:
if the camera is inside an objects bounding volume (or radius) it gets rendered.
This requires a calculation of object-cam distance, but if you're using some kind of L.O.D scheme, you are probably calculating the distance to each object already.

However;
If the game is heavily centered around a water plane I'd suggest you draw it all the time anyway. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!