• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Video Decoding and Popular Formats

This topic is 3963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I hope this is the right forum :) I have been wanting to use in-game movies in a video format(MPEG or something), I actually want to try stop motion animation, so I have a good reason for not doing in-engine movies. The point is I find very few tutorials on using video formats period. For example the Nehe AVI tutorial uses old libs (from Windows 3.1) and doesn't work on lots of systems(mine included). I Use OpenGL though that shouldn't have that much to do with the loading and streaming, right. Unless the only reasonable option people know is DirectShow. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good tutorial on FMV. Secondary to that I would like the option for my game to be commercial so I think MPEG2 doesn't work(parts are patented I think?), but if someone has a good idea of a format, that would be very helpful as well. I have googled a lot, and checked the forum search, but if there has been a resent post please redirect me :)

Advertisement
Having searched further I found this tutorial:

http://www.dranger.com/ffmpeg/tutorial01.html

And FFMPEG, which seems to work, but what if the user doesn't have the codec is there a way of auto including codecs in the program folder(don't they need to be installed?), any ideas?

DirectShow or DirectMedia layers are probably your best bet for Windows.

They provide same API for *any* format, many codecs are well supported, and you don't need to worry about licensing issues.

Codecs you wish to use will obviously need to be installed during installation of your application.

For portable solutions or other, possibly proprietary formats, there's always the option of standalone player or renderer. I believe that Bink is a popular choice for games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bink_Video), but it's not free.

For simplicity, I'd go with standard codecs, since they cover all the bases.

I recommend xvid. I wrote a network-based webcam streaming video application using on the fly compression/decompression with this library. I've also used xvid to play back a video stream onto a textured geometric object.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement