• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nayon

Some help

This topic is 4054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to developing games. Previously, I had programmed a 2d top-down shooter game in Java, but the problem was, it was in a fixed screen and it was tiled. Also I used a Thread to keep track of time but it was difficult. At the time, I had no guidance and made it all on my own resources, only the API given by Sun. Now I want to make a 2d side scrolling game, similar to the metroidvania style. But I have a few questions: First of all, I want to create my own physics, for that should I use a Thread or something else? If so, what should I use for timing? Second, I only know of making tiled systems, how can I make a freely scrolling system? That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Hello to you too!

May I ask in which language you plan to program your game?

Also for physics you could have a function/method in your main loop applying physics in the game. Much like how you could have your collision detection.

As for how to count time. It is simple. Just make a timer class. Since I am usin SDL and OpenGL in my game it is easy with SDL_GetTicks(). That is why I asked you in which language you plan to make your game. Truth is though that I had done a 2d side scroller in Java too ... but I don't remember much. So I can't be of much help there.

Well I thought it was obvious that I would use Java... but I also know a little bit of C++ (but when you know one language's logic, you understand them all, it's only a matter of syntax), so do you recommend C++ instead?

No no, java is fine too!

But I just can't help you that much there.

I remember when I was coding in java the coke and code tutorials helped me a lot.
Thay can be found right here.

It even has one about collision detection and tile maps.

You said that the previous game you made was in a fixed screen, right? Well all you have to implement now is a camera. The camera will be a square of some sorts which will have the same dimensions as your window/screen. Whenever you move to the right a little the camera's x will increment. If you go up the camera's y will increment e.t.c. Do you get the picture?

Oh how nice! I found an old side scroller tutorial in java in my bookmarks. Go here and read it all. It is a very nice tutorial on programing a side scroller in Java.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!