Some help

Started by
3 comments, last by nayon 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to developing games. Previously, I had programmed a 2d top-down shooter game in Java, but the problem was, it was in a fixed screen and it was tiled. Also I used a Thread to keep track of time but it was difficult. At the time, I had no guidance and made it all on my own resources, only the API given by Sun. Now I want to make a 2d side scrolling game, similar to the metroidvania style. But I have a few questions: First of all, I want to create my own physics, for that should I use a Thread or something else? If so, what should I use for timing? Second, I only know of making tiled systems, how can I make a freely scrolling system? That's all for now. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Hello to you too!

May I ask in which language you plan to program your game?

Also for physics you could have a function/method in your main loop applying physics in the game. Much like how you could have your collision detection.

As for how to count time. It is simple. Just make a timer class. Since I am usin SDL and OpenGL in my game it is easy with SDL_GetTicks(). That is why I asked you in which language you plan to make your game. Truth is though that I had done a 2d side scroller in Java too ... but I don't remember much. So I can't be of much help there.
Well I thought it was obvious that I would use Java... but I also know a little bit of C++ (but when you know one language's logic, you understand them all, it's only a matter of syntax), so do you recommend C++ instead?
No no, java is fine too!

But I just can't help you that much there.

I remember when I was coding in java the coke and code tutorials helped me a lot.
Thay can be found right here.

It even has one about collision detection and tile maps.

You said that the previous game you made was in a fixed screen, right? Well all you have to implement now is a camera. The camera will be a square of some sorts which will have the same dimensions as your window/screen. Whenever you move to the right a little the camera's x will increment. If you go up the camera's y will increment e.t.c. Do you get the picture?

Oh how nice! I found an old side scroller tutorial in java in my bookmarks. Go here and read it all. It is a very nice tutorial on programing a side scroller in Java.
Thanks a lot :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement