• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Win32 API listboxes - LB_SETITEMDATA and LB_GETITEMDATA

This topic is 3908 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to use a listbox in the Win32 API. I'm trying to associate a string with each listbox item, by sending the name through LB_SETITEMDATA, and then getting the selected listbox entry's string back later on with LB_GETITEMDATA. I must be doing something wrong here, because I tried this and, to test it, I had a MessageBox display the string retrieved from LB_GETITEMDATA and it was blank. Below are code snippets from both message calls. I tried searching the net for examples of LB_SETITEMDATA/LB_GETITEMDATA usage, but there seems to be hardly anything out there (and half of it's in another language-- be it another programming language or even another spoken language). Anyway, here are code snippets of how I'm sending the two messages. NOTE: You can see that I checked for LB_ERR returns-- these returns were never triggered, so it must not be a problem with sending the messages: LB_SETITEMDATA - to tell the listbox entry what the string is that should be associated with it
		int id = SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_LISTBOX, LB_ADDSTRING, 0, (LPARAM)buffer.c_str()); // add entry to listbox
		char* temp = new char[]; // this will be sent in 
		strcpy(temp, tdCurrent->strFolderName.c_str()); // get the string ready.. now it will have some text, like "001" or "002"
		int iReturn = SendMessage(hDlg, LB_SETITEMDATA, id, (WPARAM)temp); // send in the string
		if (iReturn == LB_ERR)
			MessageBox(hDlg, "Warning: LB_SETITEMDATA message returned an LB_ERR", "Warning", MB_OK);
LB_GETITEMDATA - retrieves the listbox entry's associated data (a string)
			char* strSelectedFolderName = NULL; // this is where the associated string will be stored
			int iSelectedID = SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_LISTBOX, LB_GETCURSEL, 0, 0); // first, find the index of the selected listbox entry
			int iResult = SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_LISTBOX, LB_GETITEMDATA, iSelectedID, (LPARAM)strSelectedFolderName);
			if (iResult == LB_ERR)
				MessageBox(hDlg, "Error in LB_GETITEMDATA", "Error", MB_OK);
			MessageBox(hDlg, strSelectedFolderName, "The stored data for the newly selected item is...", MB_OK);
So the end result is that strSelectedFolderName is a blank string, unfortunately. Instead, it's SUPPOSED to contain the text sent in earlier with the LB_SETITEMDATA message.

Advertisement
Your use of LB_GETITEMDATA is incorrect. The LPARAM parameter is ignored and the item data is the return value of the message. It should look like this:

int iResult = SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_LISTBOX, LB_GETITEMDATA, iSelectedID, 0);

if (iResult == LB_ERR)
{
MessageBox(hDlg, "Error in LB_GETITEMDATA", "Error", MB_OK);
}

MessageBox (hDlg, (char *) iResult, "The stored data for the newly selected item is...", MB_OK);

Note that it is not possible to store a value of LB_ERR as you won't be able to determine if there's been an error. If you are just storing pointers then this will not be a problem.

Skizz

I tried running your code (copied and pasted), and the end result is still the same - the MessageBox is identically empty. :(

Skizz is correct about the proper usage of LB_GETITEMDATA. You have another error, though, when setting the data:

int iReturn = SendMessage(hDlg, LB_SETITEMDATA, id, (WPARAM)temp);

Should be:

int iReturn = SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_LISTBOX, LB_SETITEMDATA, id, (WPARAM)temp);

Ahhh.. don't you hate it when you make a little mistake like that and it causes [here, one half of] a huge bug?

You're both right, and it's working perfectly now. Thanks much you guys! :)

And it should really be:

int iReturn = SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_LISTBOX, LB_SETITEMDATA, id, (LPARAM)temp);

for compatability.

Skizz

Just another addon:

char* temp = new char[]; // this will be sent in
strcpy(temp, tdCurrent->strFolderName.c_str()); // get the string ready.. now it will have some text, like "001" or "002"

Shouldn't there be a size in the new?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement