create a solver, get $2,000,000

Started by
92 comments, last by eternitynut 16 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by zix99
I did it in 1 minute 29 seconds. (Unfortunately I closed the window before I took a screenshot.. I figured I completed it so quickly that it wasn't very hard in the first place...)

1:47 Here.

Even I'm tempted to do this, not for the 2 million, which I have no chance of winning obviously, but it's a neat challange.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Quote:Original post by JakeM
I'll take my 2 million in cash, thanks!

wtf 20 minutes?

20 minutes...

First time I did it, it took me 2 something minutes, the second time 1 minute something...

Building a solver for this seems pretty trivial, maybe I'll give it a try over the weekend if I have the time.

I don't think they are going to be using 4 different colors for the final version, they'll probably up that to 8 at least.

Quote:Original post by Mushu
wtf 20 minutes?

Bah, I spent the first 19 minutes reading this board.

Quote:I think building a solver is very trivial considering the prize.
Building a valid solver is trivial, but having it finish before the Sun dies may not. It took a year (and 14 pentium-months) to solve the Eternity puzzle even though £1M should've been plenty of incentive. It had less pieces (209) and what seems to me as a similar amount of possible neighbours for each piece when compared to Eternity 2. I would be surprised if the makers of Eternity 2 didn't test it on a solver that incorporated the ideas from the Eternity 1 solver. But I can't intuitively guess how hard the puzzle is to solve. It could take a few days to solve on a cluster, or several years. These type of puzzles scale really badly with the number of pieces..
I could ask my department if I can use our baby.

pic
i concur

building a solver for this thing seems ultra trivial -- in fact, our cs170 final project/exams were (seemingly) more complex than this. but to optimize the hell out of it... therein lies the question.

anyhow, im also planning on building a (scalable) solver for the puzzle this comming week before school break is over. would any of you like to benchmark your solvers against each other to see how we all stack up? we can define a few board sizes, {1,2,4,8,16,32} along with different numbers of colors {1,2,4,8} and produce some nice charts to compare our algorithms. i guess it would be a good idea to post what language we developed it in as well as benchmarking machine stats.
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Quote:Original post by Uthman
anyhow, im also planning on building a (scalable) solver for the puzzle this comming week before school break is over.

How do you define scalable? Polynomial-time? I think that is impossible.

Quote:would any of you like to benchmark your solvers against each other to see how we all stack up? we can define a few board sizes, {1,2,4,8,16,32} along with different numbers of colors {1,2,4,8} and produce some nice charts to compare our algorithms. i guess it would be a good idea to post what language we developed it in as well as benchmarking machine stats.

I think that the asymptotic growth as a function of board size would be much more interesting. I doubt a tractable solver is possible. What will most likely solve the puzzle is a "solver" based on probability, which may have horrible worst-case performance, but a decent average-case performance.

How much micro-optimizations you can do and how much processing power you throw at it barely matters. What matters is the difference between solving this in polynomial time or solving this in double exponential time.

IIRC the previous solvers were mathematicians who used a very sophisticated back-tracking search starting with a human-generated partial solution. Yet they had to let it run for over 7 months on two computers (I believe that was the time, but I'm not completely sure). From what I have heard, this puzzle should be significantly harder to solve.
mmmm by scalable i meant the ability to take in different board sizes / color cardinality
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
I just do not see why this will be so hard.

If you look at the original puzzle, it had many many shapes...

This time, it is just 4 tiles, we know the shapes, it is just getting the order right.

Personally, I think the way they have done it is to make it impossible to actually complete (hence why they say that the prize will go to the person with the most connections, not the person who completes it).

If on modern computers, a distributed project, all be it a few months, I think that we could do this... and for 2 million, I really think that we should.
>wilhil<
Hmm I had a decent probabalistic approach in mind, but that piece you're forced to put in the middle may make things more difficult...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement