GUI rendering your thoughts

Started by
1 comment, last by Soul 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi Guys, I'm just design a GUI for a project I'm working on, I have most of it down but when it comes to rendering I was wondering what is most efficient. 1) Create one VB, IB that renders the whole GUI at frame render time and then update the VB,IB as dialogs changes and update 2) Create a VB,IB for each dialog and render them to a texture, and just render the texture as a quad at frame render time 3) create a full screen sized texture and use this as a layer to render each dialog onto in situe and render it on top at frame render time I anticipate a maximum of 10 dialogs on screen at once, and each dialog could be built up of around 50-100 triangles any feed back would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
I'd recommend against (3), since it'd be a waste of bandwidth unless your UI is taking most of the screen.

Considering that the entire UI is 500-1000 triangles, you shouldn't have trouble rendering it each frame. UI does lend itself to caching using a render target, due to its slow update, but I don't think it'd be a major issue here. It's a lot more of an issue when a lot of text is rendered. You can always render to texture later. That's IMO.
Thanks for that, I'll go with the complete render, and strucure it so its easy to swap to method 2 later if I need too,

Thanks for the input

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement