• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mikeman

Question about GDNet article

This topic is 4027 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm reading this article about implementing soft-edged shadows right now. It looks good, but I'm curious about this part:
Quote:
Another advantage is that one can generate soft shadows for multiple lights with a small memory overhead. When dealing with multiple lights, all you need is one shadow map per light, whereas the screen and blur buffers can be common to all the lights!
I don't see how this is possible. We sample the "blur buffer" to see if a pixel is in shadow or not. This is fine for 1 light. But if we use a common blur buffer for *all* the lights, then all we can know is if a pixel is in shadow or not, but not for which light. How can this work with per-pixel lighting? For example, with a green and red light, some pixels may be in shadow regarding the red light, some regarding the green light, some both. Don't we need a seperate blur buffer per light here?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!