• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mantear

OpenGL WinXP Remote Desktop alters output

This topic is 4149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I'm having trouble getting my OpenGL application to run properly when using Remote Desktop. The problem appears to be due to the method in which I am processing mouse events and what Remote Desktop is doing to what actually gets drawn. Every time a mouse event occurs, I re-draw the entire scene with each element being draw with a unique color id. I then read the pixels around where the mouse is when the event happened and try to match the color read with an element id. I then know which element the mouse was over/next to when the event occured. This works fine for me normally. However, this does not work when using Remote Desktop. For some reason, the data read by glReadPixels() is altered. It seems to be getting compressed due to Remote Desktop running and trying to compress the data being sent between the two computers. I understand why Remote Desktop does this, but what I don't get is how it could possibly be altering the actual output and not just what is sent to the remote machine. What I am talking about can be repeated simply using MSPaint. If you log into a computer via Remote Desktop and take a screen shot using MSPaint and then perform the same screen shot when logged in locally, the two images are not the same. The same thing is happening with my OpenGL application. If I use a different tool such as RealVNC, this doesn't happened. However, RealVNC is dog-slow compared to Remote Desktop. Any ideas? Working remotely is a huge advantage for me right now, but as it stands, I need to use the machine locally in order to use my OpenGL app. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement
When Remote Desktop active, it is not using your video card or its drivers. It is basically using a virtual video card. This is a barebones software driver basically built to send what should be on the screen to the remote computer. So your probably getting barebones opengl support from its driver. I know I've had instances when I was using directx and couldn't create some windows, because its basically not a directx compatible card (not suprising since it doesn't exist :) ).

[edit]
To my knowledge, RealVNC actually transmits what is on the computer and you have to be logged in already to use RealVNC, so your application is getting access to the hardware video card and drivers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!