• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jonboym

MS Visual C++ 2005 Express cannot find winmain

This topic is 4058 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, My problem is with code ported from Visual C++ 6 to 2005 Express. The code is split into two projects, one is the core code compiled as a static library and contains the Winmain function, the other is the application project. The two projects are linked with the application being dependent on the core code project. On MSVC 6 the code compiles fine but on 2005 Express it cannot find the Winmain in the static lib and reports error LINK : fatal error LNK1561: entry point must be defined. The code works fine (compiles, links and runs) if I cut n paste the winmain into a cpp file the application project, so I can get it to work no problems but I'm curious as to why the compiler can't find the and use the Winmain when it's part of the static library. I have a singleton base class gameApp that is in the core static lib and the object representing the application is always of a class derived from gameApp. Winmain calls the base class gameApp::Run to start things off. So all I have to do is derive from gameApp in my application project and declare an object of this class and I have an Win32 application but on MSVC 6 I could keep the winmain in the core code of th static lib. Here's the winmain code:-
int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR    lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
{
	// if an instance of a class derived from gameApp
	// exists then run it, else exit

if (gameApp::getApp() != 0)
	{
	    return gameApp::getApp()->run(hInstance, hPrevInstance, lpCmdLine, nCmdShow);
	}
	else
	    return 0;
}

Any thoughts on project settings to check or is what I'm trying to do not supported in 2005 Express? [Edited by - jonboym on June 13, 2007 4:44:38 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!