Anyone knows a good debugger?

Started by
2 comments, last by DaBookshah 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello all I'm using Devcpp as my IDE. I've got some strange crash problem where it says I'm making some access violation in memory. Does anyone know a good debugger for this? I have no idea in which function or where the problem is. And i cant add Watch and breakes because this is a 8000 lines program. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
um... devcpp _is_ a debugger. if you run your program through the debugger instead of double-clicking the exe the debugger will halt on precisely the line where the error occurred. At that point you'll know where you are accessing bad memory. It's probably a null pointer exception.

-me
The Dev-C++ IDE has a debugger in it. If you run the program in the debugger it should point you at the line where the access violation is occurring. You will need to enable debugging info in your project options though.

One reason many people choose to use Visual C++ is that it has a fantastic debugger. Vanilla Dev-C++ has not been update in quite a long time. You should consider switching to Visual C++, or possibly to wxDev-C++, which is a more up to date version of Dev-C++.
Ollydbg is quite good (And version number 2 will be out soon).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement